Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Siri Responds to anybody who says "Hey Siri"

I am using an iPhone 11, my partner use an iPhone 8, and we both have an iPad an I also own an old iPhone 6, and Every time, somebody says hey Siri, What is the temperature today?, all of the Apple devices at home within range responds, which is messed up because you have to set Siri up with your own voice and my partner and I has a completely different tone and voice. Another example; there was a gathering at home an a friend called her Siri up and a lot of the iPhones (friends iPhone and mine) on the table responded, and it annoys me so much now. Not even a complete Hey Siri but a close sounds like hey Siri phrases, it responds.

I also have a Google Pixel 4 XL, a work phone and it only responds when you call it.

iPhone 11

Posted on Nov 6, 2019 10:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2019 10:21 PM

Similar thing happening with my phone.

I’m currently using iPhone Xr with software 13.2 .

Siri is responding to multiple voices. Whenever someone says “hey siri” my phone siri gets activated. I’m seriously fed up by this.

9 replies

Dec 16, 2019 7:04 AM in response to RedFran

Apple’s voice recognition, after training, does not [and is not indented to] limit response to a single user. “Hey Siri” is just a general trigger phrase to invoke Siri - and where security may be of importance to the end-user, the vocal “Hey Siri” should be specifically disabled in favour of an alternative physical trigger (button).

Voice training simply improves accuracy of some voice recognition features - improving recognition of a wider vocabulary, allowing for differences in individuals pronunciation and/or regional dialect. It is even possible to train a completely different trigger phrase.

I hope this is helpful in providing some clarity.

Dec 16, 2019 7:38 AM in response to LotusPilot

Thanks so much for your reply. It's odd though because here's the situation. My wife and I both have iPhone SEs. We've been running whatever the latest IOS 12 version was. Under IOS 12, only our individual voices were able to activate "hey Siri" on our phones. If I said "hey Siri" to her iPhone, nothing, no response. But when she said "hey Siri," it would activate her phone. Same exact thing for me. Then I updated both phones to IOS 13.3. My phone still works the same way -- it only responds to me saying "hey Siri." But now her phone responds to anyone saying "hey Siri." Had a friend over yesterday. He was able to activate my wife's phone by saying "hey Siri," but not my phone. Just seems strange to me that before the update, "hey Siri" was definitely voice specific. And it still is for my phone, but not my wife's.

Siri Responds to anybody who says "Hey Siri"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.