Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Fresh install asking for iPad passcode

Hi I recently did a fresh install on my MacBook Pro for Mac OS X Catalina but while going through the process it asked me for my Apple ID password and also 2-step verification from iPad but then it also asked me for iPad passcode.

is it normal? Or is this some sort of a issue?

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Nov 7, 2019 12:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2019 1:31 PM

Hi there, Saransh,

Thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities. I see from your post that you're trying to set up your MacBook Pro after installing macOS Catalina, and am understanding you'd like to know if it is normal to prompt for your iPad passcode. I'm happy to help!

What you describes sounds to me like iCloud Keychain. With this feature enabled, login credentials for various apps and websites can be shared across your devices. When you first set it up on a device (or set it up after restoring), you're asked for the passcode of a trusted device to verify you and authorize iCloud Keychain.

More information on iCloud Keychain can be found here: Set up iCloud Keychain - Apple Support.

Have a great day.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2019 1:31 PM in response to Saransh2012

Hi there, Saransh,

Thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities. I see from your post that you're trying to set up your MacBook Pro after installing macOS Catalina, and am understanding you'd like to know if it is normal to prompt for your iPad passcode. I'm happy to help!

What you describes sounds to me like iCloud Keychain. With this feature enabled, login credentials for various apps and websites can be shared across your devices. When you first set it up on a device (or set it up after restoring), you're asked for the passcode of a trusted device to verify you and authorize iCloud Keychain.

More information on iCloud Keychain can be found here: Set up iCloud Keychain - Apple Support.

Have a great day.

MacBook Pro Fresh install asking for iPad passcode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.