Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where to use " sudo mount -uw / " to make HD read/write

Where and how to use " sudo mount -uw / " to make HD read/write in Catalina?

I asked a tech how to do this and was given. " sudo mount -uw / " ... Problem is

I do not know where to enter the code to make the HD read/write. All I know is Terminal..

My goal is to be able to edit some of the plists and other files in Catalina for security reasons.

I would like to know how to use the command to unlock a "read only' (external). as well as the

HD in Catalina,,,,,, my current drive.

What I tried was disabling SIP and then going to Terminal > sudo mount -uw / > enter > typed in password > and then tried to edit a file from the usr/share/vim folder. No luck! I am needing to do this and I ask for the proper procedure. Same question applies to the data folder in Catalina as well.

Thank you

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 7, 2019 2:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2019 8:57 PM

Last time I checked you definitely can. BUT YOU SHOULDNT.

That being said. Just disable SIP and try that same command again. That worked fine for me a few weeks ago.

Again. You really shouldn't do this. The stuff protected in that area is not meant to be changed, but seeing as I stumbled across the question, figured I would answer it.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2019 8:57 PM in response to eugenejazzy22

Last time I checked you definitely can. BUT YOU SHOULDNT.

That being said. Just disable SIP and try that same command again. That worked fine for me a few weeks ago.

Again. You really shouldn't do this. The stuff protected in that area is not meant to be changed, but seeing as I stumbled across the question, figured I would answer it.

Nov 7, 2019 1:46 PM in response to eugenejazzy22

Catalina forces the operating system boot volume to be read-only. You can't change it - it's very integral to how Catalina works that the system is read-only -- no if's and's or but's.

But, only a portion of the files/folders in the boot volume are on this special read-only partition. Where exactly are the plist files you wish to change located?

By the way, the special "mount -uw /" command is something that could be done in single-user mode, but that is no longer valid for Catalina.

There are some tricks you can do to add other file systems as mount points in the read-only file system -- for example see the discussion at https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250832097 that talks about how to use these synthetic links.

Good luck...

Where to use " sudo mount -uw / " to make HD read/write

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.