Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Impossible writing on Ext HD since Catalina

Since Catalina , I can only "read" files, and not edit, write... on my Ext HD though it is FAT 32 file format.

It was ok in High Sierra and Mojave ans all the previous systems...

IMPORTANT : And I have not the locker icon appearing to change permissions !

same as in this discussion and... no answer :

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250722625

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 9, 2020 5:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2020 4:28 AM

I think I found the solution after reading a lot of things on the web. You must install Paragon, an utilitary. But as it is a Microsoft made program, neither the forums nor the official Apple hotline give the solution... I downloaded the trial version to test, and immediately I was able to edit and write on my ext HD files formatted in FAT32. I downloaded a trial version, and I will buy the official version now I know it works, less than 20 €. I know that I can now now buy a new ext HD in... NTFS.

As well for NTFS formated ext HD.

Paragon NTFS pour Mac

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 10, 2020 4:28 AM in response to mara75

I think I found the solution after reading a lot of things on the web. You must install Paragon, an utilitary. But as it is a Microsoft made program, neither the forums nor the official Apple hotline give the solution... I downloaded the trial version to test, and immediately I was able to edit and write on my ext HD files formatted in FAT32. I downloaded a trial version, and I will buy the official version now I know it works, less than 20 €. I know that I can now now buy a new ext HD in... NTFS.

As well for NTFS formated ext HD.

Paragon NTFS pour Mac

Jan 10, 2020 11:12 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

>>> Why would you want to run and depend on a third party app as a work around?

Because I refuse to be Apple only. I like to have my liberty.

For instance because I tested iOS buying a iPad, and I regret it. I dont like it, that iOS.

Because all my friends have Windows, I am the only one to be with Apple, and I want to be able to plug my Ext HD on their device to show my pictures for instance.

You understand ?

Impossible writing on Ext HD since Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.