Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't open files in Catalina

I've bought a new iMac using the lastest version of Catalina. I migrated all my data over from a 10-year-old iMac. But now I can't open docx files or Scrivener files but can open saved web pages and PDFs. Also, I cannot put files into folders.

I've checked Permissions and my name and administrator now have read&write permission but still not luck.

Please help.

Posted on Dec 6, 2019 5:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2019 5:53 AM

If you don't have permission to open a file or folder on Mac ...

It sound like you did that already, so proceed with Resolve issues caused by changing the permissions of items in ...

Similar questions

5 replies

Dec 7, 2019 6:27 PM in response to jokawasaki

If the simple fixes aren't working, the next step is to contact Apple Support starting with the Contact Support link above. Technical and even non-technical support regarding any subject whatsoever is free for the first 90 days of ownership. You already paid for that service in the price of your new Mac, so why not use it?

As old as it was, transferring information from your previous Mac was the right thing to do. For all anyone knows it might be a bug in macOS's Migration Assistant that Apple needs to know about anyway. They'll fix it.

They'll probably have you repeat what you already did though, so be prepared to indulge them.

Dec 7, 2019 6:42 PM in response to John Galt

A superfast response. Thank you. Before going throught the second procedure using Terminal, I repeated the Permissions procedure again and restarted the Mac. I was able to open the files again! I'll see what happens tomorrow with fingers and toes crossed.

Just one more point that may be of help. When I first renewed Permissions after encountering the problem, as well as my name with Read and Wrtite permission, there was Administator with same R&W permission. But today when I checked, there was just my my name and Everyone--no Administator.

Can't open files in Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.