Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can’t move or copy a file or folder to my Macintosh HD

I just upgraded my MacBook Pro to the latest version of Catalina. Previous to this upgrade I had several folders on the Macintsoh HD (same level as System, Applications...). But after this upgrade, can not move my folders back (or create a new folder) to this location. Admin is only Read Only (just like my iMac) which is still on Mojave and I can move and create folders at this level. Using the Admin account, I can not change the permissions for admin to Read & Write. What happened/changed? How can I change this back to allow folders to be created there at this level? thanks

Posted on Mar 28, 2020 9:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2020 9:47 PM

Catalina now has two volumes: one is Mac HD which is read only, has the OS and system, and is "locked" for safety so no one can make any changes; the other volume is Mac HD - Data which contains your apps and files and which is read/write. You can only make changes to your User folder. FWIW, it is best not to make changes to the system level anyway - use your User folder instead.

The only way to change any of that would be to erase the entire disk and reinstall an earlier version/backup you made before upgrading.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2020 9:47 PM in response to canfam

Catalina now has two volumes: one is Mac HD which is read only, has the OS and system, and is "locked" for safety so no one can make any changes; the other volume is Mac HD - Data which contains your apps and files and which is read/write. You can only make changes to your User folder. FWIW, it is best not to make changes to the system level anyway - use your User folder instead.

The only way to change any of that would be to erase the entire disk and reinstall an earlier version/backup you made before upgrading.

can’t move or copy a file or folder to my Macintosh HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.