Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Created blu-ray disk image, burned to disc with Apple Superdrive, won't play in dvd player. What to do?

Hi

With help from Apple community, using FCPX's Share>Blu-ray option, I created a disk image, then burned it to a dvd in my Apple Superdrive (AVCHD).

The dvd player won't play it. Should it? If not, what are my options?

best

elmer

MacBook Pro

Posted on Nov 8, 2019 7:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2019 2:45 PM

Sorry, but I'm having trouble with your first sentence, "The rest of the topic is technical..."

I was only trying to fit two items of yours together. The now edited link, and your comment; This is a submission. I have a feeling they don't like submissions much.

The latter seemed to me to be asking if it's okay to ask for a purchasing selection of a Blu-ray or DVD player/drive, and wondering if that may also get edited out as "not a Mac question".

That's all. Nothing to be even slightly concerned about.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2019 2:45 PM in response to elmerlang

Sorry, but I'm having trouble with your first sentence, "The rest of the topic is technical..."

I was only trying to fit two items of yours together. The now edited link, and your comment; This is a submission. I have a feeling they don't like submissions much.

The latter seemed to me to be asking if it's okay to ask for a purchasing selection of a Blu-ray or DVD player/drive, and wondering if that may also get edited out as "not a Mac question".

That's all. Nothing to be even slightly concerned about.

Nov 8, 2019 9:28 AM in response to elmerlang

If FCPX kicks out a standard BDMV folder, then burning it to a DVD will result in a disk that doesn't work. A BDMV folder needs to be on a Blu-ray disk, which of course cannot be read by a DVD drive or set-top player.

Your choices are to purchase an external Blu-ray drive so you can play back your created disks (you'll still need something like MacGo Blu-Ray Player to view it). Play back the BDMV folder directly (again, with something like MacGo Blu-Ray Player). Or, redo the output formatted for a VIDEO_TS folder that can be properly burned to a DVD that works. The downside is a DVD is always the previous, low resolution standard TV format.

Nov 8, 2019 12:03 PM in response to Kurt Lang

Thanks, guys, for your replies!

The totally free "Leawo Blu-ray Player" I posted above seems to work just fine. Played my blu-ray-disc-image-burnt-to-regular-dvd no problem.

From what I read, and apparently did, you can create a blu-ray disc on a regular dvd. Unfortunately, the dvd has a 4.7gb space limit and my full video file came to 4.72.

So, to test what was possible, I took out one minute, created the Share>Blu-Ray disc image, burnt that to dvd, yes, the DVD Player wouldn't play it but Leawo did from my Apple SuperDrive. HD, I assume, but I guess I can't prove it.

But at least I now know it works and I'll buy blu-ray discs at B&H come Tuesday.

Nov 8, 2019 12:31 PM in response to elmerlang

The totally free "Leawo Blu-ray Player" I posted above seems to work just fine. Played my blu-ray-disc-image-burnt-to-regular-dvd no problem.

Probably because it doesn't really care what type of disk it's on. I just looks for the H.264 (.mp4) video and plays it.

Yes, you can put Blu-ray on a DVD. It's specifically known as a High Definition DVD. Since a single layer DVD can only hold about 4.2 GB of data, the video can't be very long. A regular DVD computer drive or TV set top player still won't know what to do with it since it can't read or decode that format. But a Blu-ray drive can.

Nov 8, 2019 1:49 PM in response to Kurt Lang

Thank you for your reply!

Since I don't have one, and thought them somewhat dated, can I ask: Would you think most places that do have players would have Blu-Ray, or is regular DVD still the standard?

This is a submission. I have a feeling they don't like submissions much.

Why they don't want an email with links to superb quality files makes me wary of their intentions. Plus, their 'we only contact if we want' sounds more like a dismissal than a rule of the game. O well.

Nov 8, 2019 2:20 PM in response to elmerlang

The rest of the topic is technical, so I sure wouldn't worry about simply asking about a source device.

DVD and Blu-ray are both very common. Pretty much any movie or TV series is released on both. The nice thing about a Blu-ray drive is it will play either type of disk. Less common is the newer 4K Blu-ray format. I don't know if that will ever catch on at any high level of use.

You had first said you couldn't play it, then followed up with a link. Without an explanation, such as, "I found software that worked to play it.", the link alone probably seemed like advertising. We see a fair amount of that here. A new user will ask all kinds of lame questions, then uses another account to answer themselves and add a link to software they're selling that just happens to be a solution to the every question posted under the first account.

Nov 8, 2019 2:27 PM in response to Kurt Lang

Hahaha! Well, maybe I'll try that next time if I can hook up a sponsor ;)

That link was, I believe the one I found and downloaded the app that played. I suppose I should have added "Solved question" but didn't.

To what do you refer? (For some reason I flashed back to Dan Rather getting smacked by some crazy guy who repeated, "What's the frequency, Kenneth?" ((Lol)) )

Btw, what a spendid last name you have.

Thanks again for your replies, the info has been very helpful.

Created blu-ray disk image, burned to disc with Apple Superdrive, won't play in dvd player. What to do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.