Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Out of application memory? Seriously? Now?

I get this message after I came back to my mac after several hours away. How is this possible? No changes in the applications I’m running and there are no other ones I use for writing or audio work etc. — I left my mac idle with just the basics, shown in the window, running. WT—?

If this is really true, that’s really sad. Never got this before.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Nov 8, 2019 12:45 PM

6 replies

Nov 8, 2019 4:20 PM in response to Jean Shea

That's often due to a rogue process, and that rogue process is often adware. Since it's been resolved though I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. If it happens again it's worth investigating.

A memory-intensive process may not appear in that dialog, because it only suggests apps—and as you can see none of them are using anything near an exorbitant amount of RAM. Both processes and apps will appear in Activity Monitor.

Although rebooting a Mac is simple enough if something odd should occur, it's completely ok to leave it up and running for days, weeks, or months at a time.

Nov 8, 2019 12:58 PM in response to rreinhardt93

I relaunched the Finder. Closed that window. I always leave my mac on. Put it in sleep mode when I’m away. Aside from time away for travel, it’s been running nonstop for well-on four years without a problem. Now this shows up. Would be understandable if I left my audio editing program and image editing program running, or a browser open but nothing like that. Only these what seems to me low-memory programs.

So I don’t know, maybe just another mystery of the island.

Out of application memory? Seriously? Now?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.