Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Mac Mini HDMI 4k 60hz FIX (Mac Mini 2018 - Catalina)

There is a common problem with Mac OS Catalina and the Mac Mini 2018 HDMI connections…
You turn on the Mac and the screen and there is no signal.
Apparently It only happens when using HDMI to HDMI and often when you are trying to use HDMI 2.0 4k @60 hz.

Common solution

The first solution you should try is a well known one:

1. - Turn off your Mini.
    2. - Unplug the power cable from the outlet.
    3. - Unplug all the cables from your Mini (HDMI, USB, 3.5... [everything]).
    4. - Wait 15 / 20 seconds.
    5. - Plug your Mac to the outlet.
    6. - Wait another 20 seconds.
    7. - Plug all the cables.
    8. - “Problem solved” or no.

But if this solution doesn’t work for you, don’t worry, you  might be able to enjoy 4k @60hz anyways… 

I don’t know if my solution is going to work for anybody… and I don’t know about HDMI /v ideo problems after sleeping, because I haven’t experience one yet (at least after I came with the solution)…
This was tried on a Mac Mini 2018... I don't if it also works with other models...
But I believe it's going to be useful in many cases.

-->> MY Mac Mini  HDMI 4K @60 HZ  or "How VoiceOver Saved Me"   <<--

• Part 1: Check your username

1. - Open terminal
    2. - Take a look -> Your username might be there “after” ~ and before “$”
Mini:~ username$

Remember your username (you are going to need it).

• Part 2: Login
You need to do it anytime you turn your Mini on, but what's the problem? It's a cool wait to turn it on and it takes almost the same time than login-in with your display on...

1. Turn your Mac on (don’t turn on your display yet).
    2. Wait some time… (the normal boot time before login screen show ups).
    3. Press the power button 3 times quickly. --> You might hear a voice asking for your username.
    4. Enter your username and press enter. --> You might hear the voice again, this time asking for your password.
    5. Type your password and press Enter.
    6. Wait some time (the normal times your Mac takes to load before showing the desktop).
    7. Turn on your display.
    8. (Optional) If everything looks small... --> Go to System Preferences --> Screens --> Resolution --> Fixed --> Choose one.

• Part 3: Share this topic

If this work for you please share the post in other forums...
I also give you full permission to copy the content from it and create a similar post without giving any credit…
Let people find this solution.

Thanks and Good Luck.

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 8, 2019 3:51 PM

Similar questions

There are no replies.

My Mac Mini HDMI 4k 60hz FIX (Mac Mini 2018 - Catalina)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.