Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unplugged HDMI

Hello everyone. I’ve been reading forums for a couple days about this headless running of the m1 Mac mini. I need to ask what may be a stupid, but burning, question… What is the point exactly of these dummy HDMI plugs I’ve read about? I recently experimented with various conditions of the mini headless with VNC access. Mine works just fine if I unplug the HDMI at the TV where I usually run it to watch media. So the HDMI is connected to the mini but disconnected at the other end (in the hopes of saving wear on my television). Is this bad for any specific reason? TIA!!

Mac mini, macOS 12.6

Posted on Oct 6, 2022 8:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2022 6:20 AM

rothnd wrote:

So the HDMI is connected to the mini but disconnected at the other end (in the hopes of saving wear on my television). Is this bad for any specific reason? TIA!!

yes that is a very bad practice. constantly unplugging and plugging the HDMI cable back in will eventually physically wear out the cable or the port on the TV (or both) causing unreliable connectivity and / or permanent damage. leaving it connected will not damage the TV's electronics.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2022 6:20 AM in response to rothnd

rothnd wrote:

So the HDMI is connected to the mini but disconnected at the other end (in the hopes of saving wear on my television). Is this bad for any specific reason? TIA!!

yes that is a very bad practice. constantly unplugging and plugging the HDMI cable back in will eventually physically wear out the cable or the port on the TV (or both) causing unreliable connectivity and / or permanent damage. leaving it connected will not damage the TV's electronics.

Oct 7, 2022 7:14 AM in response to jeffreythefrog

Thanks for this! “Leaving it connected…” that’s what I’m worried about. I’m worried that it running with video is burning into the background of the TV (the TV does show up in Displays when it’s off so…). Next relevant question - does “Lock Screen” kill the signal at the source i.e. HDMI port on Mac mini? My TV seems to think so but I’d like to know for certain. Thanks!

Oct 7, 2022 7:39 AM in response to rothnd

rothnd wrote:

So do you know anything about these HDMI dummy plugs?

sorry, no. I've never even heard of them. but I've been mirroring my iMac to the TV for a couple years and have not had any issues leaving it connected. and with my previous iMac, I was running from the Mini DisplayPort to the VGA input (on the same TV) for about eight years prior and have not experienced any burn in. that's not to say it cannot happen. it can. but as long as you don't leave a static image on the screen for long periods of time, you will be fine. and I will add that my TV is a plasma screen, which are notorious for burn in, (maybe that's why they are gone) and have not had any burn in.

Unplugged HDMI

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.