You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard incorrect auto-capitalization

I’m having repeated issues with the native keyboard in iOS 13 on my iPhone randomly deciding to capitalize a letter in the middle of a sentence after using backspace to correct a spelling issue. This is quite annoying. I realize that Apple’s predictive text entry with its new swipe-capable integration is in its infancy and there are quite a few bugs. This one, however, feels Kind of straightforward. (I’m going to leave that accidental capital K there to show you what I meant. It literally just happened as I was typing this.)

I’ve found others reporting the issue before at least once.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3142646

Has there been any progress on addressing this issue?

Posted on Nov 8, 2019 7:01 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2019 1:27 PM

Hello,

I understand. Let's go one by one.

------

When this happens, do you find that it's the same words? Or the same apps?

/////// No. It happens immediately after backspacing to the beginning of a word. They are words in the middle of a sentence and that were not capitalized prior to pushing back one more time to the beginning of a word.

At Settings > General > Keyboards:

Are you using any additional keyboards?

////// No

Is one-handed typing enabled?

////// No

Auto-Capitalization enabled?

////// Yes. I tried turning it off. However, the behavior then was no capitalization even following a punctuation mark (ie a period). The only issue is the fact that auto-capitalization should not kick in during the middle of a sentence.

Note that it does also show the keyboard in all caps when it's going to do this. After pressing back to erase a word, as soon as it hits the first letter of a word, the "shift" button is pressed. I must manually turn shift off to continue the sentence correctly.

Attempting to recreate the issue is hit and miss. No specific words. The only thought I have is perhaps it's attributed to mixing and matching swipe style entry and manual typing though I have no evidence of this.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 13, 2019 1:27 PM in response to i_rina

Hello,

I understand. Let's go one by one.

------

When this happens, do you find that it's the same words? Or the same apps?

/////// No. It happens immediately after backspacing to the beginning of a word. They are words in the middle of a sentence and that were not capitalized prior to pushing back one more time to the beginning of a word.

////// No

////// No

////// Yes. I tried turning it off. However, the behavior then was no capitalization even following a punctuation mark (ie a period). The only issue is the fact that auto-capitalization should not kick in during the middle of a sentence.

Note that it does also show the keyboard in all caps when it's going to do this. After pressing back to erase a word, as soon as it hits the first letter of a word, the "shift" button is pressed. I must manually turn shift off to continue the sentence correctly.

Attempting to recreate the issue is hit and miss. No specific words. The only thought I have is perhaps it's attributed to mixing and matching swipe style entry and manual typing though I have no evidence of this.

Dec 17, 2019 4:33 AM in response to MoonJ.

I think I can get more precise:

The problem is when slide-to-type produces a capitalized word, such as a name. If you backspace the name away, as soon as you backspace over the capitalized first letter, the shift triggers and gives you a capital letter next. The only resolution is to backspace the word away, then pause and check the shift and turn it off if it’s on, THEN type the next word.

eg:

I found a Rick

I found a [shift is enabled after backspacing to here. If you don’t turn it off...]

I found a Stick.

NOTE: this only occurs if you backspace the word away one character at a time. If you delete an entire slide word, it won’t auto capitalize. Backspacing one chat at a time becomes necessary if, eg, you’ve already typed another word with slide before making the typo and have to move your cursor back to fix the typo.

In short: press “shift” once after backspacing over a capital letter to avoid this problem for now.

Nov 13, 2019 6:51 AM in response to napierandrew89

Hello napierandrew89,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities! I see you're having an issue with the keyboard on your iPhone, and I'd like to help out.

Let's see if we can isolate this issue. When this happens, do you find that it's the same words? Or the same apps?

About the keyboards settings on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

If you haven't restarted your iPhone since noticing this, go ahead and do so. A restart can resolve unusual issues, and is always worth a try. Restart your iPhone

Thanks!

Nov 13, 2019 2:36 PM in response to napierandrew89

Hey napierandrew89,

Thanks for all of the information in your reply. We appreciate it!

I have an idea. At Settings > General > Keyboard > Change to another English keyboard, such as English (UK) and see if the issue still happens.

If it doesn't happen, switch back to the original keyboard and test again. It may resolve itself by switching.

If it does still happen, then we'll have some other steps to follow. You'll want to back up your iPhone with either iCloud or your computer. How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Next, using your computer, and either iTunes or Finder (If using macOS Catalina) restore your iPhone, which removes everything, including the iOS and puts a fresh install of iOS 13.2.2. If there is something within the iOS that inadvertently wasn't installed correctly, this will resolve that. Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings

Set up your iPhone as new, so you can test without your backup. You can sign in with your Apple ID, and reselect iCloud to sync your information, such as Contacts, Calendars, Photos. Settings > Tap your name > iCloud

If the issue no longer happens, then restore to your backup and test again. Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup

If the issue happens when set up as new, then I'd recommend contacting Apple Support, and let them know what's happening and the steps you've done.

Take care!

Keyboard incorrect auto-capitalization

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.