Apple Intelligence is now available on iPhone, iPad, and Mac!

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mail not sending email

Mail is suddenly unable to send emails. I can receive them but I can't send them. It was working perfectly well a couple of days ago and I haven't made any changes to the OS.

I've turned the computer on and off again a couple of times.

I have verified that the webmail versions of my iCloud email and Hotmail email are able to send emails without difficulty.

I have also ensured that I have internet connection.

I've checked Mail>Preferences>Accounts and it looks like both my accounts are "offline"

Similarly, Connection Doctor indicates that IMAP and STMP are offline on both of my accounts.

I have followed the instructions and ensured that the TLS/SSL tick box in the Server Settings is set to None.

I'm running MacOS Mojave Version 10.14.6

Mail Version 12.4

Any ideas on what I should do now? Thanks in advance for any help.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Nov 9, 2019 4:26 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2019 8:55 PM

So, solved the problem.

Booted in Safe mode and established that Mail functions fine in Safe Mode. Downloaded a malware detection program (malwarebytes.com) which "cleaned" my computer. Restarted the computer and email is now working again.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 23, 2019 8:55 PM in response to VQM

So, solved the problem.

Booted in Safe mode and established that Mail functions fine in Safe Mode. Downloaded a malware detection program (malwarebytes.com) which "cleaned" my computer. Restarted the computer and email is now working again.

Nov 13, 2019 11:15 PM in response to alma1090

Thanks alma1090 for your reply.

I've confirmed that my hotmail server settings are correct. My understanding is that Mail automatically sets the Mail settings for iCloud as I was not able to drill down to the details in Preferences.

I also checked my Firewall and the specified ports are not being blocked.

Any other suggestions?

mail not sending email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.