Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PDF annotate app with no sidebars from underscan

I use my IPad Pro and when I display my image using HDMI or VGA using a projector, I get black sidebars on the left and right side due to underscan.

Is there a PDF annotation app that will automatically compensation for the change in aspect ratio? (Like the Apple photos).

I have tried PDF expert, noteshelf and adobe reader without success.

The projector is often fixed in the ceiling in the classroom and I do not have access to change the zoom/keystone on the projector itself.

There must be others that have experienced this, and I am hoping there is a solution.

iPad Pro, iOS 13

Posted on Nov 10, 2019 3:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2019 3:22 PM

Hello,

This is not due to underscan. iPad’s display aspect ration is 4:3. Most displays you connect your iPad to will have an aspect ration of 16:9. iPad and its software is not designed to display with a 16:9 aspect ratio. The reason you see these black bars on the left and right is due to iPad displaying the largest picture it can display which most often will just be what is seen on the iPad. The only exceptions are multimedia applications that have been specifically designed to display their media content in their full resolution, such as Photos or TV. There is nothing you can do to resolve this as iPad is not designed to work this way.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 10, 2019 3:22 PM in response to crmx123

Hello,

This is not due to underscan. iPad’s display aspect ration is 4:3. Most displays you connect your iPad to will have an aspect ration of 16:9. iPad and its software is not designed to display with a 16:9 aspect ratio. The reason you see these black bars on the left and right is due to iPad displaying the largest picture it can display which most often will just be what is seen on the iPad. The only exceptions are multimedia applications that have been specifically designed to display their media content in their full resolution, such as Photos or TV. There is nothing you can do to resolve this as iPad is not designed to work this way.

PDF annotate app with no sidebars from underscan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.