You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Randomly touched lighting cable end of a usb memory stick to the USB port of MacBook Pro 13 inch 2012 model and it shut down.

Randomly touched lighting cable end of a usb memory stick to MacBook Pro 13 inch 2012 model USB port and it shut down abruptly. Charging cable shows dim green button. Holding the on button does nothing.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 10, 2019 4:22 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2019 4:31 PM

I fixed this problem but taking the cover off, disconnecting the battery terminal wires from the MacBook. Replaced it with a new battery in 10 minutes, and it worked. I had a Tri wing screwdriver and Phillips small screwdrivers. I had the previous battery for 7-8 years already, it was about time to replace it anyhow.

i was reading other suggestions and if you don’t have a new battery laying around or Tri wing screwdriver, you can disconnect the battery terminal without taking the battery off, wait 10 mins and plug the terminal back in.

if you don’t have access to Phillips screwdriver and don’t want to take off the cover, just leave it alone for a few days for the battery to completely discharge by itself over time. Then it should start up again when you hit the power button.

a quick way to tell if it is ready to turn on is by the bright green charging cable light, if it’s bright orange or green, it’s ready to turn on. If it’s dimmer green or orange, it’s not ready and won’t turn on.

remember to use fingernails or edge of a ruler to take off the battery terminal. You don’t want static charge using metal items to pry off the battery terminal.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 10, 2019 4:31 PM in response to waterfall3

I fixed this problem but taking the cover off, disconnecting the battery terminal wires from the MacBook. Replaced it with a new battery in 10 minutes, and it worked. I had a Tri wing screwdriver and Phillips small screwdrivers. I had the previous battery for 7-8 years already, it was about time to replace it anyhow.

i was reading other suggestions and if you don’t have a new battery laying around or Tri wing screwdriver, you can disconnect the battery terminal without taking the battery off, wait 10 mins and plug the terminal back in.

if you don’t have access to Phillips screwdriver and don’t want to take off the cover, just leave it alone for a few days for the battery to completely discharge by itself over time. Then it should start up again when you hit the power button.

a quick way to tell if it is ready to turn on is by the bright green charging cable light, if it’s bright orange or green, it’s ready to turn on. If it’s dimmer green or orange, it’s not ready and won’t turn on.

remember to use fingernails or edge of a ruler to take off the battery terminal. You don’t want static charge using metal items to pry off the battery terminal.

Randomly touched lighting cable end of a usb memory stick to the USB port of MacBook Pro 13 inch 2012 model and it shut down.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.