Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomePod can't find songs or artists or playlists, but can "play all songs shuffled"

I've reset my HomePod twice, but every time I ask it to play a specific song or artist or playlist, Siri responds "I couldn't find [x] in your music. The only thing Siri can do is "play all songs shuffled".

The HomePod is running 13.2.1. The iPhone that I used to set it up is running iOS 13.2.2.

I don't have an Apple Music subscription, but I have iTunes Match.

Any ideas?

HomePod, iOS 13

Posted on Nov 10, 2019 4:32 PM

48 replies

Dec 14, 2019 11:14 AM in response to Kenny Freundlich

I upgraded my HomePods to 13.3, removed from Homekit, did a hard reset on both HomePods, but playlist capability and not all artists/albums/songs are recognized with my Apple Match subscription unless I am using AirPlay with my iPhone or Mac. An Apple Music subscription is still required if you to only want to use use Siri to play music on the HomePods. See https://www.apple.com/homepod/specs/ where it states "Apple Music subscription for full music functionality" under the "System Requirements" section.

Nov 12, 2019 3:01 PM in response to Kenny Freundlich

You're not alone ..

I just sent 45 minutes on the phone .. they said it was because keychain as off. Suddenly siri started to play artists when i asked her to and the call ended as i though it was fixed .. alas i just asked for a different artists and its back to "sorry i couldnt find that"

I've only had it 5 days and its been very underwhelming thus far.

Nov 22, 2019 7:44 PM in response to Inthedeep

Same here - two long calls of trying “standard” things such as resetting, pairing/unpairing, etc. There doesn’t seem to be a pattern to the songs/albums/artists that aren’t recognized. The only thing we all have in common is iTunes Match. I converted my huge CD collection and have almost 30k songs, the vast majority of which matched. A few weeks ago, Siri started taking a very long time to play a song (saying “I’m on it”, and “just a sec” several times), then last week, it stopped finding songs we’ve played many times before. It definitely has something to do with the way the “HomePod” version of Siri is looking up songs in large libraries. Maybe if we share our findings here, we can isolate the issue?

Nov 23, 2019 4:39 AM in response to Kenny Freundlich

Unfortunately as usual with Apple you will get inconsistent answers to this question. I started recently (11/22) having this same problem when I decided to reset my HomePods to make Siri talk through the other HomePod (I have two in stereo). From what I understand from talking to their top engineers it is a bug they are working on and haven't fixed yet. So unfortunately if you are having this problem but want to play a playlist the only thing you can do is use your iPhone, iPad, or Mac and play a playlist with the Music application using the HomePod for sound. They may or may not announce when they release a fix so check what version your HomePod is running every now and then. If you notice a newer iOS then try asking Siri to play a playlist. For now we just have to wait until their engineers discover the source, fix it, and release a new iOS. In regard to not recognizing an artist or song, that seems different or the bug is even worse and I would contact Apple Support and as to be connected to a Senior Advisor initially.

Nov 23, 2019 6:59 AM in response to PF2UK

85k songs? You don’t need Apple Music because you are Apple Music! I feel the same way - lovely looking paperweights at the moment. I refuse to stream from my phone to the speakers because I have to keep my phone close to the Wi-Fi router and on a charger to avoid dropouts and draining the battery. Really odd that Apple just didn’t give in and allow full control from the music app instead of just being able to shuffle and skip to the next song.

Nov 23, 2019 6:58 AM in response to JimBlowitski

Thanks for the info - especially the “top engineers” bit, as that’s what I suspected. It’s even worse than just not recognizing artists; I’ll ask Siri to play “Time After Time”, and it says, “No problem - here’s Dreams by Fleetwood Mac”. I asked Siri on my Apple TV 4 the same thing (through the remote) and it played the right song without issue. The TV is also connected to my iTunes Match library. By the way, to force Siri to listen and respond on the other speaker of a stereo pair (for a while anyway), physically touch and hold the top of the speaker that you want to respond and instead of saying “Hey Siri”, just ask it something, like the weather. That speaker will now respond to requests. You can also flip your phone face down if it’s responding to “Hey Siri” instead of the HomePod.

Nov 23, 2019 9:15 AM in response to Kenny Freundlich

I don’t think they’ve fixed it. I just asked it to play a playlist and it still couldn’t be found whilst I have voice recognition on. If I turn it off then it works. It is absolutely unacceptable that this bug has festered for so long. With voice recognition off I can play the playlists but of course no Siri interaction such as sending messages, asking for calendar info. Prior the iOS 13 abomination this all worked. I was also caught up in the original release fiasco whereby I tried to reset to make my music work correctly and it got bricked (replaced a few days layer at Apple store). I am pretty stunned by this and now there was obviously little or no QA undertaken.

you would of though apple would have a checklist. Do their engineers or support

staff not even use their own products? As surely they’d notice this. There are an awful lot of iTunes Match subscribers who do not use/need/or want apple music but have HomePods

Nov 23, 2019 9:19 AM in response to Kenny Freundlich

Glad to hear your issues seem to be resolved, but I just tried again this morning - same issues for me. Here’s another example: “Hey Siri, play Frankly Mr Shankly by The Smiths”. Response: “I can’t find Frankly Mr Shankly in your music”. Then I try, “Hey Siri, play Frankly Mr Shankly” and the song plays normally. It seems that sometimes Siri can find things by title OR artist OR album, but not any combination thereof.

Nov 23, 2019 9:28 AM in response to Scottyboy99

The skeptic in me thinks this is a ploy to have people switch over to Apple Music! I’ve read up on what would happen to all of the songs I converted - they would not be “mine” anymore and if I stopped my Apple Music subscription, I’d have to load up my library again (from backups - luckily I saved all the CDs I converted as uncompressed files; the CDs are on spindles to save space).

HomePod can't find songs or artists or playlists, but can "play all songs shuffled"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.