Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't import iMovie projects/library on to new iMac from external backup drive

I've tried to copy my iMovie library from my external drive on to my new iMac into the /Movie/ folder, but iMovie rejects it and gives errors. I copied the library file to my local drive first, then moved it over to the /Movie/ folder, but iMovie won't recognize it. What am I doing wrong?

See this image:

iMac 21.5" 4K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 10, 2019 8:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2019 1:06 PM

SOLVED

The Apple rep helped me solve this. Basically, I needed to reset my permissions on both my external drive and my local drive. This way, both drives can "talk" to each other. I also needed to make sure all privileges on both drives were set to "Read & Write"

The process to "Apply to enclosed items..." make take several hours because it has to go through every file on your drive. But don't worry, it's working.

Then after it's done, you run this script in terminal found here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203538

###########

diskutil resetUserPermissions / `id -u`

###########

Then reboot, then copy over the iMovie library file from backup to my local machine, then open iMovie. All my clips appeared as they should in iMovie. Problem solved.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 23, 2019 1:06 PM in response to Rich839

SOLVED

The Apple rep helped me solve this. Basically, I needed to reset my permissions on both my external drive and my local drive. This way, both drives can "talk" to each other. I also needed to make sure all privileges on both drives were set to "Read & Write"

The process to "Apply to enclosed items..." make take several hours because it has to go through every file on your drive. But don't worry, it's working.

Then after it's done, you run this script in terminal found here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203538

###########

diskutil resetUserPermissions / `id -u`

###########

Then reboot, then copy over the iMovie library file from backup to my local machine, then open iMovie. All my clips appeared as they should in iMovie. Problem solved.

Nov 12, 2019 9:45 AM in response to writerjosh

The screen shot below is what appears on my external drive Get Info box. The "Ignore ownership on this volume" appears right at the bottom. I unlocked the drive with the little lock symbol in the lower right hand corner.

Since you are getting a permissions error, I thought that it was worth a try to check the ownership box. Are you doing your "Get Info" on the external drive while it is located on the external drive. It looks like you are clicking on the drive on your Mac HD. Also, what is the format of the external drive that contains the library?

I would be curious to see what happens if you create a new library on the external drive that would be subsequent to your upgrade to Catalina, and then copy, not move, your old external library projects to it.

-- Rich

-- Rich

Nov 12, 2019 11:26 PM in response to writerjosh

I mean create a new library and copy your projects into it. Import the new library to your Mac.

It’s difficult to sort this out on an electronic forum such as this. There’s something here that we are missing.

I suggest that you contact Apple support and see if they can guide you to the answer. Those folks are pretty savvy. Click on the Contact Support item in the upper right hand corner of this forum’s screen and navigate to a telephone number.

I’m confidant that you will be able to get to the bottom of this. At this point I have no more suggestions that I can make.

— Rich

Can't import iMovie projects/library on to new iMac from external backup drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.