Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving an iMovie project from an old mac to a new one using a USB flash drive

I’m having trouble moving an iMovie project from an old mac to a new one using a USB flash drive. 

On my old mac, I copied the project folder from inside the iMovie Library and pasted it onto the flash drive. Then I downloaded that file on my new mac. As far as I can tell, all the files that I need are still in there, but I can’t get iMovie to recognize it. (i.e., simply putting the new file inside the iMovie Library of my new mac doesn’t work) 

Is there a workaround for this?

Some YouTube videos suggested deleting dummy files and letting iMovie “repair library,” it doesn’t seem to work.

I’m using the newest version of iMovie on my new mac, which uses the M1 chip.

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Sep 20, 2021 4:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2021 5:01 PM

iMovie projects can only exist in an iMovie Library. They cannot be moved or copied independently. You need to move or copy the iMovie library that contains the project. So, create a new iMovie library. Transfer your project into it. Then copy or transfer (recommend copy) the new iMovie library into the USB flash drive. Then physically transfer the USB drive from the Old Mac to the new one. Then drag the iMovie library into the New Mac's internal drive. The USB drive should be formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) or APFS in order to store an iMovie library. This would be a temporary situation, since Apple does not recommend storing an iMovie library on a USB flash drive. However, since you will not actually be using it on the drive, it should be O.K. Also, be aware that if the New Mac is using a newer version of iMovie 10, when you open the project on your new Mac, the iMovie library will be updated so that it will no longer play on the Old Mac. That's why you want to keep your old iMovie library intact on the Old Mac.

-- Rich

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2021 5:01 PM in response to S_K_2021

iMovie projects can only exist in an iMovie Library. They cannot be moved or copied independently. You need to move or copy the iMovie library that contains the project. So, create a new iMovie library. Transfer your project into it. Then copy or transfer (recommend copy) the new iMovie library into the USB flash drive. Then physically transfer the USB drive from the Old Mac to the new one. Then drag the iMovie library into the New Mac's internal drive. The USB drive should be formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) or APFS in order to store an iMovie library. This would be a temporary situation, since Apple does not recommend storing an iMovie library on a USB flash drive. However, since you will not actually be using it on the drive, it should be O.K. Also, be aware that if the New Mac is using a newer version of iMovie 10, when you open the project on your new Mac, the iMovie library will be updated so that it will no longer play on the Old Mac. That's why you want to keep your old iMovie library intact on the Old Mac.

-- Rich

Sep 21, 2021 3:40 AM in response to Rich839

Hi Rich. Thanks for your detailed answer.

In hindsight, I realize that that is what I should have done. However, (and I’m sorry I didn’t clarify this in the original question) I don’t have the old mac at hand just now (a family member who lives several hours away is using it) so I was wondering if there is a workaround in my situation.

Thanks in advance,

S. K.

Sep 21, 2021 8:24 AM in response to S_K_2021

If you want to transfer the project in editable form, The only thing that you can do is to use a thumb drive and mail or UPS it to your family member.

Another thing you can do is export the project as a standalone movie file to your desktop and upload it to You Tube or other video website, and email the link to your family member. It can then be accessed and downloaded by the family member. It could be imported into an iMovie project and edited to a limited extent, such as splitting, trimming, deleting segments, adding segments, adding titles and effects.

You might also be able to share a standalone movie through the Cloud with the Family Sharing feature. Go to the Help menu and type in Set Up Family Sharing and see it it could work in your situation.

-- Rich

Moving an iMovie project from an old mac to a new one using a USB flash drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.