Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfer unfinished working iMovie project to different Mac?

I have a new computer and I would like to transfer an unfinished working iMovie project from my old computer (an older MacPro) to the new computer (a newer Mac Book Pro) I need to add additional clips and rearrange some of the clips in the unfinished version still so I need the project media and the clips in the project pane to transfer over as they are. Is this possible? Thank you.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 16, 2020 5:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2020 7:10 PM

The easiest way would be to simply copy (not transfer) your original library that contains the project to an external drive formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Before doing that, select the library's name in the iMovie sidebar and do a File/Consolidate Library Media, then copy it over to the external drive. Then unplug the external or thumb drive and plug it into the destination Mac. From there you can open the library and work on the project. The iMovie version on the destination Mac must be the same exact version as the iMovie version that was used to create the project.

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 16, 2020 7:10 PM in response to Psyllid

The easiest way would be to simply copy (not transfer) your original library that contains the project to an external drive formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Before doing that, select the library's name in the iMovie sidebar and do a File/Consolidate Library Media, then copy it over to the external drive. Then unplug the external or thumb drive and plug it into the destination Mac. From there you can open the library and work on the project. The iMovie version on the destination Mac must be the same exact version as the iMovie version that was used to create the project.

-- Rich

Transfer unfinished working iMovie project to different Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.