Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina can't find Sierra on AirDrop

I have a MacBook Pro 2017 with Catalina and it won't "find" my other MacBook Pro 2011 with Sierra in AirDrop. This is critical for me to be able to share files between these two for my business and home use. Can I no long "Find an older Mac" with OS Catalina?

Posted on Nov 11, 2019 5:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2019 12:13 PM

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, DWtsn!

I understand you're not able to see your MacBook Pro running macOS Sierra from your MacBook Pro running macOS Catalina. I'd be happy to provide information to help you troubleshoot this.

Give the following steps a try: Use AirDrop on your Mac

"If you can't see the other device in AirDrop

If a device doesn't appear as an AirDrop recipient, make sure that both devices have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth turned on and are within 30 feet (9 meters) of each other. If that doesn't help, check these settings on your Mac or iOS device.

On Mac:

• Choose Go > AirDrop from the menu bar in the Finder, then make sure that AirDrop is turned on.
  • Check the ”Allow me to be discovered by” setting at the bottom of the AirDrop window. When AirDrop is set to receive content from Contacts Only, both devices must be signed in to iCloud, and the email address or phone number associated with the sender's Apple ID must be in the Contacts app of your Mac.
  • If the Mac is from 2012 or earlier, click “Don't see who you're looking for?” in the AirDrop window or sharing sheet of the sharing Mac. Then click “Search for an Older Mac.”
  • If the receiving Mac is using OS X Mavericks or earlier, make sure that an AirDrop window is open on that Mac: choose Go > AirDrop from the menu bar in the Finder. 
  • Make sure that “Block all incoming connections” is turned off in Security & Privacy preferences of the receiving Mac.

On iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:

• Check the AirDrop setting in Control Center. When AirDrop is set to receive content from Contacts Only, both devices must be signed in to iCloud, and the email address or phone number associated with the sender's Apple ID must be in the Contacts app of your iOS device.
  • Make sure that Personal Hotspot is turned off in Settings > Cellular of the receiving iOS device."

Have a great day!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2019 12:13 PM in response to DWtsn

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, DWtsn!

I understand you're not able to see your MacBook Pro running macOS Sierra from your MacBook Pro running macOS Catalina. I'd be happy to provide information to help you troubleshoot this.

Give the following steps a try: Use AirDrop on your Mac

"If you can't see the other device in AirDrop

If a device doesn't appear as an AirDrop recipient, make sure that both devices have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth turned on and are within 30 feet (9 meters) of each other. If that doesn't help, check these settings on your Mac or iOS device.

On Mac:

• Choose Go > AirDrop from the menu bar in the Finder, then make sure that AirDrop is turned on.
  • Check the ”Allow me to be discovered by” setting at the bottom of the AirDrop window. When AirDrop is set to receive content from Contacts Only, both devices must be signed in to iCloud, and the email address or phone number associated with the sender's Apple ID must be in the Contacts app of your Mac.
  • If the Mac is from 2012 or earlier, click “Don't see who you're looking for?” in the AirDrop window or sharing sheet of the sharing Mac. Then click “Search for an Older Mac.”
  • If the receiving Mac is using OS X Mavericks or earlier, make sure that an AirDrop window is open on that Mac: choose Go > AirDrop from the menu bar in the Finder. 
  • Make sure that “Block all incoming connections” is turned off in Security & Privacy preferences of the receiving Mac.

On iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:

• Check the AirDrop setting in Control Center. When AirDrop is set to receive content from Contacts Only, both devices must be signed in to iCloud, and the email address or phone number associated with the sender's Apple ID must be in the Contacts app of your iOS device.
  • Make sure that Personal Hotspot is turned off in Settings > Cellular of the receiving iOS device."

Have a great day!

Nov 17, 2019 11:32 AM in response to DWtsn

Hello,

Did you find a solution to your problem? I’m asking because that auto response you received is misleading/incorrect. The problem is that under Catalina, Apple has removed the feature in AirDrop where it used to give the option to click, “Don’t see who you’re looking for?” And then select “Search for an older Mac.”

I have a classroom lab of varying models of Macs and this issue has plagued me since updating to Catalina.

Catalina can't find Sierra on AirDrop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.