Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time to upgrade my Mac Mini?

This might be a ridiculous question. Can I upgrade my Mac mini to not be ridiculously slow or should I invest in a new machine? Trying to be cost effective but I can’t handle the slowness. It’s not everyday use, I have an iPad Pro but when I need to do something on a computer it’s painful. I don’t store anything on the computer, it’s all in iCloud.

Please be kind I have minimal computer knowledge. 🙃

Late 2012

2.5 GHz Intel Core i5

4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 11, 2019 7:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2019 8:52 AM

I totally agree with Rudegar your first step should be to update the amount of RAM.

You could upgrade to 8GB which would probably be enough to make a noticeable difference but you might as well also look at the cost of upgrading to 16GB. If the difference is small you might as well go to that level.

Once the RAM has been upgraded the next option to consider is if your Mac mini has a hard disk rather than an SSD drive you could replace the internal hard drive with a 2.5" SATA SSD drive.

You are fortunate to have a 2012 model rather than the 2014 model as the RAM cannot be upgraded in the 2014 model.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2019 8:52 AM in response to Mich111

I totally agree with Rudegar your first step should be to update the amount of RAM.

You could upgrade to 8GB which would probably be enough to make a noticeable difference but you might as well also look at the cost of upgrading to 16GB. If the difference is small you might as well go to that level.

Once the RAM has been upgraded the next option to consider is if your Mac mini has a hard disk rather than an SSD drive you could replace the internal hard drive with a 2.5" SATA SSD drive.

You are fortunate to have a 2012 model rather than the 2014 model as the RAM cannot be upgraded in the 2014 model.

Nov 11, 2019 9:08 AM in response to John Lockwood

Memory and then a ssd drive , you would be amazed at the difference it will make.

Speed is a relative thing . before I upgraded this 2104 iMac I though it was pretty fast . The I bought a 2019 Mac mini with 64 gig ram and a 1 Tb ssd drive and was amazed and the speed difference . I upgraded the iMac to 16 gig (max it would hold ) and A ssd drive and its now almost as fast as the Mac mini (almost).

Nov 12, 2019 1:38 AM in response to Mich111

You can confirm how much RAM your computer thinks you have by going to the Apple menu and selecting 'About this Macintosh'.

If you want to actually test the memory chips then whilst Apple have a built-in hardware diagnostic tool it is both very limited and often missing due to the way some people may have installed or upgraded their Mac previously.

The best free option is to use Memtest86+ which can be placed on a bootable USB drive. (It is not a Mac program but rather a Linux one.)

See - https://www.memtest.org/

or - https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

This article helps explain how to create the USB boot drive - https://www.idownloadblog.com/2017/06/08/test-ram-integrity-memtest86/

Time to upgrade my Mac Mini?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.