Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina software update issue

I was trying to install catalina in my mac book pro 2012,but i got a error message saying "internal error occured while preflighting" what to do in this case?

MacBook Pro 13", OS X 10.11

Posted on Nov 11, 2019 10:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2019 10:12 AM

What current macOS are you running?

How is the device formatted? Catalina needs GUID/apfs

From Internet Recovery> Disk Utility>View>Show all Devices> your parent drive

here you can convert from HFS to APFS

Internet Recovery (option command R): https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

6 replies

Nov 11, 2019 10:15 AM in response to arjundhas

After that error does your computer boot normally in its previous operating system version or is the computer non-functional? It should have booted normally. If so, restart holding the R key and run Disk Utility. First run Disk First Aid to see if there are any unfixable errors. While you are there in DFA, see whether the drive is formatted APFS or HFS+ and let us know

Nov 11, 2019 10:34 AM in response to arjundhas

arjundhas wrote:

Its running on OS X EL CAPITAN.
how to convert from HFS to APFS?

Did you run Disk First Aid and check drive integrity? The installer should do the conversion if the drive checks out ok. The way you worked the error made me think the drive needs to be repaired - which you'll have to do from either the Recovery Partition or Internet recovery.

Catalina software update issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.