Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automatic login not working w/ catalina on iMac

Can’t get “automatic login” to work now that I have upgraded to Catalina. Have tried what is recommended in both the User & Groups and the Security & Privacy pages in System Preferences without success.

On the User & Groups page, my name is listed in the “automatic login” box, but whenever my iMac goes to sleep, it requires me to type in my password.

In the Security & Privacy section, whenever I try to uncheck the “Required password” option, a dialog box pops up asking me if I really want to turn it off. No matter which of the two options I select, it returns to the Security & Privacy page and nothing has changed. I also am unable to change the time requirement for auto login from “immediate”.

FWIW, I redid my keychain password to try to get rid of the recurring popup for AMPDeviceAgent. Not sure if I succeeded in doing that, or if that played a role in my login issue. Any help would be appreciated!

iMac 27", OS X 10.11

Posted on Nov 11, 2019 10:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2019 4:46 PM

Make sure this checkbox is unchecked in the System/Security & Privacy/General preference pane:

2 replies

Automatic login not working w/ catalina on iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.