Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help!! My Hosts file is deleted and now nothing will work on my mac. Cant even get on the internet. I was orginally trying to change the file because i could not complete the latest update. and now nothing words. ive traded typing out the code

I tried putting the code back in TextEdit and saving it again but nothing works. Help someone

Posted on Nov 11, 2019 3:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2019 5:44 PM

Hello Jmatt1991,

Thanks for asking the Apple Support Communities for help with deleted files. I will be happy to offer some options.

Does your computer still boot? If so, I recommend backing up your computer and data first: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

Then, once you complete getting your backup, I recommend reinstalling macOS from Recovery: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Thanks and have a wonderful day.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2019 5:44 PM in response to Jmatt1991

Hello Jmatt1991,

Thanks for asking the Apple Support Communities for help with deleted files. I will be happy to offer some options.

Does your computer still boot? If so, I recommend backing up your computer and data first: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

Then, once you complete getting your backup, I recommend reinstalling macOS from Recovery: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Thanks and have a wonderful day.

Help!! My Hosts file is deleted and now nothing will work on my mac. Cant even get on the internet. I was orginally trying to change the file because i could not complete the latest update. and now nothing words. ive traded typing out the code

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.