Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can/should I delete this App EtreCheck is says is causing high CPU usage?

It's com.apple.WebKit.WebContent. If I can't delete is there anything else I can do? Many websites cause my fans to rev like a twin-engine plane.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 12, 2019 3:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2019 5:28 PM

That would imply you have a web browser tab that is running Javascript excessively. What it is running would depend on which website you were visiting. Or worse you visited a site that is running crypto-mining javascript.

You can try quitting your web browser, and restarting without accessing the tab (or tabs) that were causing problems.

If just starting the web browser causes excessive CPU, then it is running the javascript out of the cache. If this is Safari, you quit Safari, and then re-launch Safari holding down the "Shift" key to clean the cache. If it is a different browser, you will have to find out what that web browser does to clear the cache.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2019 5:28 PM in response to OrganicBooks

That would imply you have a web browser tab that is running Javascript excessively. What it is running would depend on which website you were visiting. Or worse you visited a site that is running crypto-mining javascript.

You can try quitting your web browser, and restarting without accessing the tab (or tabs) that were causing problems.

If just starting the web browser causes excessive CPU, then it is running the javascript out of the cache. If this is Safari, you quit Safari, and then re-launch Safari holding down the "Shift" key to clean the cache. If it is a different browser, you will have to find out what that web browser does to clear the cache.

Nov 12, 2019 3:44 PM in response to OrganicBooks

That’s usually a browser tab that’s gotten pretty busy. See which tabs are active, and maybe close them?

Please post the EtreCheck report here. Open a new reply, and then press the button that looks like a printed page, and then paste the complete hardware and software configuration report into the text input box that that button opens.

Common suspects when things go weird are add-on anti-malware, add-on anti-virus, add-on cleaning apps, add-on VPN clients, and add-on network firewall-and-monitoring packages. Ad blockers are another potential option here.

Can/should I delete this App EtreCheck is says is causing high CPU usage?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.