Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can’t connect to server

My MacBook can’t connect to server from safari, mail, or App Store. Firefox works fine.

MacBook, macOS 10.12

Posted on Nov 12, 2019 10:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2019 10:05 AM

Hi,

Make a New Location, Using network locations in Mac OS X ...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2712

System Preferences>Network, top of window>Locations>Edit Locations, little plus icon, give it a name.

System Preferences>Network, click on the little gear at the bottom next to the + & - icons, (unlock lock first if locked), choose Set Service Order.

The interface that connects to the Internet should be dragged to the top of the list.

If using Wifi, instead of joining your Network from the list, click the WiFi icon at the top, and click join other network. Fill in everything as needed.

System Preferences>Network>choose interface>Advanced>Proxies Tab, make sure none are set, like for HTTP & HTTPS.

System Preferences>Network, unlock the lock if need be, highlight the Interface you use to connect to Internet, click on the advanced button, click on the DNS tab, click on the little plus icon, then add these numbers...

Apply.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2019 10:05 AM in response to dawns50

Hi,

Make a New Location, Using network locations in Mac OS X ...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2712

System Preferences>Network, top of window>Locations>Edit Locations, little plus icon, give it a name.

System Preferences>Network, click on the little gear at the bottom next to the + & - icons, (unlock lock first if locked), choose Set Service Order.

The interface that connects to the Internet should be dragged to the top of the list.

If using Wifi, instead of joining your Network from the list, click the WiFi icon at the top, and click join other network. Fill in everything as needed.

System Preferences>Network>choose interface>Advanced>Proxies Tab, make sure none are set, like for HTTP & HTTPS.

System Preferences>Network, unlock the lock if need be, highlight the Interface you use to connect to Internet, click on the advanced button, click on the DNS tab, click on the little plus icon, then add these numbers...

Apply.

Nov 13, 2019 10:03 PM in response to BDAqua

This worked! Thank you thank you thank you. Can you explain what that did? I know it gave a new location but what do you think happened to the original one? Wow, I am so darn happy, as I knew if I had to take it to Apple for repair that they would tell me the computer is too old. Etc. I also ordered a new back up hd, as mine had died awhile ago and I kept putting off buying a new one. This issue scared me into doing what I knew I needed to do! Thanks again!

Nov 14, 2019 6:48 AM in response to dawns50

Great to hear. :)

I suspect that it was just the DNS #s that were needed, but the New Location is a way to eliminate a dozen or so possible corrupted files, then to doubly make sure the other settings get set correctly.

DNS Servers are a bit like Phone books where you look up a name and it gives you the phone number, in our case, you put in apple.com and it comes back with 17.149.160.49 behind the scenes. :)

PS Firefox has some built-in DNS servers, whereas Apple Apps use the System settings we just set.

can’t connect to server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.