Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Click-Drag with touch pad no longer working in macOS Catalina

Ever since upgrading to macOS Catalina on my new MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2019, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports), I can no longer simply click-drag a file to move it. The file stays locked in place and sometimes a pop-up window opens to reveal a quick look into the file contents. I have discovered that I must Option-Click-drag to initiate the file icon move then release the option key so as not to duplicate the file.

I have explored System Preference-Touch Pad and Finder Preferences to determine if a setting changes the normal Click-Drag behavior but have not yet found what is causing this situation. Does anyone know the solution or have a suggestion?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Nov 13, 2019 8:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2019 5:01 AM

Resolved! I finally figured out why I could not simply Click-Drag Files. In the Trackpad section of System Preferences, under "Point & Click" (System Preferences>Trackpad>Point & Click), by unchecking the "Look up & data detectors" option the I am able to simply Click-Drag Files/Folders to move them.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2019 5:01 AM in response to Ern Mink

Resolved! I finally figured out why I could not simply Click-Drag Files. In the Trackpad section of System Preferences, under "Point & Click" (System Preferences>Trackpad>Point & Click), by unchecking the "Look up & data detectors" option the I am able to simply Click-Drag Files/Folders to move them.

Click-Drag with touch pad no longer working in macOS Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.