Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trackpad - drag and drop issues

I have a MacBook Pro 14" (2021, M1). The trackpad does not work properly on occasion - specifically, the ability to drag and drop files from one location to another is not possible for some files and unreliable for others. The issue is intermittent and is occurring on OS 12.5 and the previous version. A restart does not fix this issue, nor does it appear to be an issue with permissions. However, using an external mouse there is no problem ... and interestingly, once an external mouse has been connected the trackpad starts working properly again, until the problem reappears at some later date.

Any suggestions on how to fix this issue permanently?

Rob

Posted on Aug 15, 2022 3:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2022 6:13 PM

Robert Batey wrote:

I have a MacBook Pro 14" (2021, M1). The trackpad does not work properly on occasion - specifically, the ability to drag and drop files from one location to another is not possible for some files and unreliable for others. The issue is intermittent and is occurring on OS 12.5 and the previous version. A restart does not fix this issue, nor does it appear to be an issue with permissions. However, using an external mouse there is no problem ... and interestingly, once an external mouse has been connected the trackpad starts working properly again, until the problem reappears at some later date.

Rob

M1 SoC - SMC reset equivalent is Shut down, close the lid 30 secs+ , reboot as normal

no resolve—Try a SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support to sort anomalies like yours.

>System Preferences has some trackpad options— I would toggles some of those, test— and then come back to your preferred setting.

and from Pointer Control—>trackpad options

Turn on/off "three finger drag" for your Force Touch trackpad - Apple Support

Accessibility>Keyboard>Options

Turn on three finger drag for your Mac trackpad - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2022 6:13 PM in response to Robert Batey

Robert Batey wrote:

Rob

M1 SoC - SMC reset equivalent is Shut down, close the lid 30 secs+ , reboot as normal

no resolve—Try a SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support to sort anomalies like yours.

>System Preferences has some trackpad options— I would toggles some of those, test— and then come back to your preferred setting.

and from Pointer Control—>trackpad options

Turn on/off "three finger drag" for your Force Touch trackpad - Apple Support

Accessibility>Keyboard>Options

Turn on three finger drag for your Mac trackpad - Apple Support

Trackpad - drag and drop issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.