Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard and trackpad stop working after upgrade to Ventura 13.0.1

After i upgraded my macbook pro M1 14" to Ventura 13.0.1, the keyboard (external Apple bluetooth keyboard as well as the built in one) and some functions of the trackpad and Bluetooth mouse stop working. If i restart the computer, they resume working for a short time but inevitably fail again regardless of what software I am using. The issue appeared immediately after upgrading to Ventura and no other updates are available.

MacBook Pro 15″

Posted on Nov 16, 2022 9:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2022 2:45 AM

Same here: M1 MacBook Pro 13", Keyboard and Trackpad stopped working after installing Ventura 13.0.1, external Keyboard and Mouse have to be activated by logging in - funny, because you need a keyboard for doing so... It only helped to downgrade to Monterey, after that I was able to work with the MacBook without the internal keyboard.

The MacBook is 23 month old - Apple Support wants to change upper case (650 Euro), a certified reseller offers to change logic-board (800 Euro).

But it looks to me more like a firmware problem...!

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 18, 2022 2:45 AM in response to usnaxc81

Same here: M1 MacBook Pro 13", Keyboard and Trackpad stopped working after installing Ventura 13.0.1, external Keyboard and Mouse have to be activated by logging in - funny, because you need a keyboard for doing so... It only helped to downgrade to Monterey, after that I was able to work with the MacBook without the internal keyboard.

The MacBook is 23 month old - Apple Support wants to change upper case (650 Euro), a certified reseller offers to change logic-board (800 Euro).

But it looks to me more like a firmware problem...!

Dec 1, 2022 6:18 AM in response to gredeh

It's really disappointing to see this issue discussed in many places without a single response from Apple (although i do see this is a "help yourself" sort of forum and Apple does not claim to offer responses...so i guess they just want the benefit of us reporting their bugs for them without having to acknowledge that there are any issues). I have done some more testing, because i need my computer for work and i depend on it heavily, and I have found that the inputs for the system only lockup after using the bluetooth magic keyboard for a bit after logging in. So I suspect there is some driver incompatibility between the keyboard and Ventura 13.0.1, but I don't see any updates available for either one yet, so i have just switched out my keyboard for another non apple keyboard and all is good for now.

Dec 1, 2022 6:46 AM in response to usnaxc81

Update to previous note...using an alternate Logitech external keyboard with a little USB dongle also locked up all key inputs after about 20 minutes of normal functioning use so it had the same issue. I suspect the issue is purely in Ventura OSX and not a keyboard firmware update. Apple, please help. We need a fix.

Dec 15, 2022 1:12 PM in response to usnaxc81

6 month old M1 macbook pro 16"......updated to ventura 13.0 and several older apps died so I updated them. However, magic mouse and apple keyboard were acting strange. Updated to 13.1 and external keyboard/mouse quit working completely. Onboard keyboard had 8 letters that quit working. Rebooted and for the past hour at least external apple keyboard and magic mouse working fine. Onboard keyboard working fine.

Dec 19, 2022 10:43 AM in response to johnmb77

Unfortunately in my case, for 13" 6 month old M1 macbook pro, updating to 13.1 did not resolve the issues. The issue returned after about an hour of use with the apple keyboard and magic mouse. Also locking up the built in keyboard same as before. Logging out and logging back in returned the built in keyboard, trackpad, and magic mouse to normal function. It seems to only present the issue when using any external keyboard (also happened with an external logitech). The magic mouse can be used, but external keyboards are not working for more than an hour before locking up input options.

Feb 17, 2023 7:37 AM in response to usnaxc81

In MacOS 13.2 and 13.2.1 I have had luck with a semi-simple solution that is less disruptive than a reboot or logout. The issue still periodically occurs, seemingly always while i am using microsoft software like Teams or Office apps (but maybe that's just cause that's what I primarily rely upon while working). If the keyboard/touchpad lock-up, try doing a command+space bar to bring up the Apple Spotlight search bar and then try typing in there. If it types, then you should be able to continue where you left off before the lockup. It kind of seems like there is some sort of reset that this step triggers to allow it to resume to normal functionality at least for awhile.

Feb 17, 2023 11:40 AM in response to usnaxc81

Upon further tinkering I found that it was locking up every time i used the home, end, page up, or page down buttons on my magic keyboard. I then tried mapping the keys to have Windows style functions following this thread...https://medium.com/@elhayefrat/how-to-fix-the-home-and-end-buttons-for-an-external-keyboard-in-mac-4da773a0d3a2...and it didn't work for me. Then i tried digging into some productivity apps that i installed one day without ever really figuring them out from Seapp, and i found that by uninstalling Swish, the problem seems to have been resolved. Does anyone else see the similarity in their issue? If so, I hope this helps you resolve it as well.

Mar 5, 2023 5:28 PM in response to Rick Evertsz

Same problem on new 14" M2 MacBook Pro (previously had the problem on a 2019 15" MacBook Pro). Turns out it was an extension called Karabiner Elements that I've been using for years. Was fine on Monterey and before.

I have removed Karabiner Elements and have not had the problem since (about a month). I doubt this is the problem others are having, but am posting this as info, just in case.

Keyboard and trackpad stop working after upgrade to Ventura 13.0.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.