Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Powers Off Intermittently

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)

2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Macintosh HD - Data

Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

Battery Cycle Count 144, Normal

My MBP is Powering Off intermittently, there seems to be very little pattern to the matter.

I've been reading around, and thought it might need an SMC reset, as described here in Apple Forums, though that hasn't been effective.

Powering on in Diagnostic mode indicates there is nothing wrong with my computer, or the Magsafe Power Adapter.

Resetting PRAM also seems to have no effect.

Upon rebooting, it will often power down, restart a few times before crashing and becoming unresponsive for a period of time. No error codes, no reports.

I've always been consistent with Charging my MBP to 100%, unplugging it, powering it off when not in use, and recharging it around when I get the notification about powering down unless connected to power. I'm trying to maintain that despite the fact that:

It seems like the uncontrollable shutdowns happen around 100%, and 35% battery power I can use my laptop somewhat consistently between those two points, but again no guarantees and power downs do occur.

Currently working on a log of when the powerdowns occur, and what is going on with the computer at the time of the crash..

This issue seems very common...

I am disappointed to read that If I take this Computer back to the same Apple Store that I paid a $600+ repair for, this year, they will likely recommend a new logic board, despite the fact that I just did that!

Would love to get my computer reliably working again, any advice?

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 13, 2019 11:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2019 3:05 PM

Hi dyvog,

From what you posted, you've done all troubleshooting steps, running diagnostics, resetting SMC/PRAM, etc

I would try to take your computer back to the same store and let them know that the logic board replacement they performed hasn't solved the issue.

I've seen certain cases that an Apple Store could replace the machine for a newer model but one would have to talk to a manager and explain to them everything that has happened. They will look at the repair history and make a decision based on that. They may or may not do it so you have to be nice and hope for the best.

I hope this helps.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2019 3:05 PM in response to dyvog

Hi dyvog,

From what you posted, you've done all troubleshooting steps, running diagnostics, resetting SMC/PRAM, etc

I would try to take your computer back to the same store and let them know that the logic board replacement they performed hasn't solved the issue.

I've seen certain cases that an Apple Store could replace the machine for a newer model but one would have to talk to a manager and explain to them everything that has happened. They will look at the repair history and make a decision based on that. They may or may not do it so you have to be nice and hope for the best.

I hope this helps.

Macbook Pro Powers Off Intermittently

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.