Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My apps won’t update

i can't get my apps to update

Posted on Nov 13, 2019 6:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2019 10:57 AM

Hello !

i have exactly the same issue in my iPhone 11 Pro, when I tap « update » it blinks a little bit and it just pops back up saying « update ».

I didn’t change anything on my iPhone and of course I tried to reboot it, 4 different WiFi providers and 2 cellulars network... nothing is working, even through a VPN. I tried to disconnect and reconnect my Apple ID... nothing worked.

I didn’t restore it, I don’t want to...

If anyone has a working solution for this issue, it will be great !

31 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2019 10:57 AM in response to Pedrojose423

Hello !

i have exactly the same issue in my iPhone 11 Pro, when I tap « update » it blinks a little bit and it just pops back up saying « update ».

I didn’t change anything on my iPhone and of course I tried to reboot it, 4 different WiFi providers and 2 cellulars network... nothing is working, even through a VPN. I tried to disconnect and reconnect my Apple ID... nothing worked.

I didn’t restore it, I don’t want to...

If anyone has a working solution for this issue, it will be great !

Nov 14, 2019 11:22 AM in response to Pedrojose423

I though so as well, but it didn’t, on some apps that I used before (2 days ago) without any update in between... I’m trying to update it and nothing happens. For example telegram doesn’t have the blue dot, and I don’t have the dark mode sync with iOS 13 like the update 5.12.2 said.

RA Guide is displaying the version number on the settings page, and it did not update either.

Maybe I was looking at apps that updates themselves some days ago (previous updates that worked before and give me the blue dot and the current update on these apps is not working...)

I can update TestFlight applications without any issues.

Nov 14, 2019 8:12 PM in response to Pedrojose423

Yeah despite getting a blue dot, the apps aren't actually updating. This is easy to check in apps that have an about screen with a version number. I've actually watched what the device is doing if you do a update all. It will clean any apps that need it, then put them in "waiting". After a few seconds, it will give up and the app will lose the waiting text, but still be gray and finally get the blue dot. Meanwhile the App Store app may show a download progress circle, that never moves and reverts back to the update button. Tapping individual update buttons, appears to skip all that (or it's too fast to see).

This issue is affecting all devices on my account, even an old iPhone 5s and my Apple TV 4K.

For iPhones and iPads, the work around is to delete the app and download it from the store. If you don't want to lose data, you can offload the app and reinstall it (you might have to do that more than once if the app crashes on load after reinstalling). Both of these are a pain to do, especially if you have a lot of updates. Also there's no way to offload on the Mac or Apple TV.

Nov 16, 2019 5:35 AM in response to noahs

I contacted Apple 2 days ago. I’m supposed to hear back today.

I would suggest everyone contact Apple. They keep claiming no one else is having this issue, so the more people who call in, the more this will get noticed.

The only workaround I’ve found, is to delete or offload the app and reinstall it. That will install the latest version. Offloading won’t lose data, but it only works on iPhones and iPads. I’ve also had cases where I had to do it more than once because the app crashes on launch. I have over 50 apps that need updating and doing it that way is time consuming so I’ve only done it for apps that won’t work without updating.

I’ve also read you can use iMazing and AnyTrans to update apps on iOS devices.

For Mac apps, the only option is to delete and reinstall, but you’ll lose data.

Nov 16, 2019 10:09 AM in response to Morac

I see that now. I contacted apple chat through their support app. He said the apps not updating was odd and he never heard of this before. He wasn’t much help. His last solution was enter recovery on “update” through iTunes. Told him this was somehow connected to my Email address since it happens on both of my devices. He had no other solutions. Please let us know after you hear back from Apple.

Nov 20, 2019 12:36 PM in response to Atlantaslimm

I'm having the same problem, but only on my two MacBook Pros (one running Mojave, one running Catalina). My iOS devices are set to auto-update (although I wonder if that's actually happening properly at this point).

I spoke to a "senior" Apple advisor who just told me to delete the apps and re-download. No attempt whatsoever at trying to get to the bottom of the problem.

For those affected, have any of you made a test in-app purchase in a beta app downloaded through TestFlight? I'm hearing that may be related to the problem, but have no confirmation yet, so I'd be interested to hear either collaborating or conflicting stories. I've got some contacts at Apple I can relay information to if I can get details.

Nov 20, 2019 12:54 PM in response to thomas_r.

Yes. I made an IAP subscription in a TestFlight app back in September 2019 and did a restore purchase back in February 2019. I also made an IAP subscription purchase in the real version of the same app on November 5 and the problem started for me on November 14.

I’m one of the first people to come up with this theory though so you’re likely “hearing” this idea from me.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/merged-ios-13-2-2-app-updates-stuck-on-waiting.2210793/post-27997751

My apps won’t update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.