Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What does ”Disable Caps Lock” setting do? iOS 12.4

In keyboard settings, there’s a setting to ”Disable Caps Lock”. Is this supposed to actually do something? It’s definitely not affecting caps lock in any way. I’ve been looking for a way to turn the caps lock key off completely because I hit it accidentally all the time and you have to hold it to turn it off, so it stops my typing for a while every time.

Is there a way to get rid of caps lock completely?

iPad Pro 2017, iOS 12.4

Posted on Nov 14, 2019 12:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2019 4:21 AM

In Settings, there is an option to “Enable Caps Lock”:

Settings > General > Keyboard > Enable Caps Lock

With this setting enabled (default setting), when the on-screen keyboard is visible, a double-tap of the Shift key will engage Caps Lock; when enabled, the key will change from an upward pointing arrow to an upward pointing arrow with an underline:

Conversely, when disabled, you cannot engage the on-screen Caps Lock for the Shift key.

I hope this fully answers your question.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2019 4:21 AM in response to Stiksi

In Settings, there is an option to “Enable Caps Lock”:

Settings > General > Keyboard > Enable Caps Lock

With this setting enabled (default setting), when the on-screen keyboard is visible, a double-tap of the Shift key will engage Caps Lock; when enabled, the key will change from an upward pointing arrow to an upward pointing arrow with an underline:

Conversely, when disabled, you cannot engage the on-screen Caps Lock for the Shift key.

I hope this fully answers your question.

Nov 14, 2019 3:33 AM in response to Stiksi

Hi Stiksi,

Here’s the solution:

How to Disable the Mac Caps Lock Key

1. Open “System Preferences” from the  Apple menu.
  2. Click on “Keyboard
  3. In the lower right corner, click on “Modifier Keys…”
  4. Click on the pull-down menu next to “Caps Lock Key” and select “No Action”
  5. Press “OK” and close out of System Preferences.

Pls refer to the attached photo.

Hope this helps.

What does ”Disable Caps Lock” setting do? iOS 12.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.