Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automator problem with Microsoft Office 365 Word

Like many others, I recently upgraded to Office 365 since the version I had quit working with Catalina. After installing, I can't get Automator to edit my Word files anymore. I have a simple Application I wrote that should Open the documents I drop into it, and then Find and Replace some text. That's it.

First, I get this error...

And then I get this error from Word:

This happens even if I try to drag one, solitary file onto my Automator Application. Please help!

Thank you, Twila

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Nov 15, 2019 11:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2019 11:18 AM

If you are using a compiled version of your Automator action, then you need to load the original editable version of the action and recompile it to an application using the new version of Automator. If you are using any AppleScript or other code within your app, then you may need re-write it for Catalina compatibility. Keep in mind that in Catalina you can no longer create apps or embed code in apps that are 32-bit.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2019 11:18 AM in response to Twila Olson

If you are using a compiled version of your Automator action, then you need to load the original editable version of the action and recompile it to an application using the new version of Automator. If you are using any AppleScript or other code within your app, then you may need re-write it for Catalina compatibility. Keep in mind that in Catalina you can no longer create apps or embed code in apps that are 32-bit.

Nov 15, 2019 11:40 AM in response to Twila Olson

If you previously hard-coded the filesystem location of a particular Word document in an Automator action, you need to review the accuracy of that file and its location now.

If you wrote any AppleScript based on an earlier Word 2008 or Word 2011 Scripting Dictionary, that dictionary and its syntax may have changed support for the new Word in Office 365. You can review that by opening the Script Editor and from its File menu, select Open Dictionary… and select the Office 365 Word.

Microsoft may have changed the name, functionality, or even removed certain Automator actions that were included with older versions of Word.

What Kappy has said.

Nov 15, 2019 1:31 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you both for your responses.

I am not completely familiar with the terminology you've each used, but hopefully I can address it and clarify what I'm doing.

When I deleted the old Word from my computer, the Actions for Word were deleted from Automator. I checked. Then, after installing the new Word, new Actions populated Automator automatically and showed up the next time I opened it. I then newly-created the 2-Action App. Does this address your 2nd and 3rd paragraph, VikingOSX and your response, Kappy? If not, please correct me.

I don't understand what you mean by hard-coded the location of a Word document. I created these documents in the new Word and saved it to my hard-drive... The files I dragged onto my Automator App icon were on my hard-drive exactly where I wanted them, and are directly openable from there.

Thank you for your help!

Nov 15, 2019 2:26 PM in response to Twila Olson

You have answered my initial questions, including the "hard-coded" question. Is it a Word action that opens the given Word document, and performs a find/replace on it, or another Automator action?

Since I don't have Office 365 installed, I also cannot see what actions Word installs, nor can I debug your two-action workflow here to see what is happening.

Automator problem with Microsoft Office 365 Word

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.