Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Microsoft 365 Word and Powerpoint unable to save new files on Monterey

After upgrade to MacOS Monterey I am unable to Save a new file or use Save As for any file using Word or PowerPoint in Microsoft 365. Saving works fine for Excel.

Specs: Mac Pro 15" 2017. Word/PPt version 16.54. MS Update says I have the latest version. Suggestions please?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Nov 3, 2021 5:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2021 2:14 AM

Thanks for your reply. After trial and error I singled out the problem to be which of my two external monitors is designated as the Main Display, and which as Extended display. By swapping the original configuration this removed the problem. Just have to search for my desktop icons in another place. Absolutely no idea why this should have any impact on why Word and Ppt should allow a file to be saved or not.

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 4, 2021 2:14 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks for your reply. After trial and error I singled out the problem to be which of my two external monitors is designated as the Main Display, and which as Extended display. By swapping the original configuration this removed the problem. Just have to search for my desktop icons in another place. Absolutely no idea why this should have any impact on why Word and Ppt should allow a file to be saved or not.

Nov 18, 2021 3:16 PM in response to GM034

Solved the issue by doing a force quit for Excel (Which managed to save to to a bkup file I could restore).

Following the Force quit and restore I can now save new files as expect.

Changing my monitor configuration had no effect. I had not problem saving new files any other Office 365 apps.

I suspect Excel got into a bad memory state. (I have latest versions of Office and Monterey on my M1).

Microsoft 365 Word and Powerpoint unable to save new files on Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.