Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Couldnot open any files.

Hi! Why i couldn't open my files from desktop neither word documents, images nor PDF files. It says file couldn't be opened. It started recently when i updated my Mac to OS Catalina. And also i couldn't save my files in desktop.

Posted on Nov 16, 2019 12:00 AM

12 replies

Dec 9, 2019 10:15 PM in response to howardc6464

Looks like permissions was my problem. Catalina for some reason needs this

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203538

Basically do the following

• Apply Finder's Apply to enclosed items
  • Run diskutil command on terminal
  • Reboot

I've not had problem since executing this.

Not sure what is causing permissions to be incorrect restoring user files via time machine or backed up external USB drive. But this seems to have fixed it.

Nov 19, 2019 2:46 PM in response to unnamed112

Is it me or is Apple software garbage the last few years?

Every time there's an update new bugs show up. It shows they couldn't care less about the suckers that already bought the hardware.

Quality control department? Are you there? Are you doing your job? Clearly not...

On a second note I have managed to get rid of the massage by rebooting, but the issue shows up again some time later.

Nov 29, 2019 10:59 AM in response to mulberry58

Unfortunately that did not work, it was set to Read & Write, changed to Read, and then back to Read & Write and the same issue occurs.

I definitely stopped being able to access files on the Desktop when I upgraded to the most recent version of Catalina. When I Get Info on one of the images, it has all the meta data, shows the correct sizing, and oddly even shows that it was last opened moments ago (when I tried to open the file).

Dec 7, 2019 11:13 PM in response to unnamed112

Same here. Been happening for awhile now on 10.15.0 and 10.15.1. Restart solves it for awhile and back to same problem. All kinds of other problem shows up too like thunderbolt mounted target disk mode drives don't show up. And yes, reboot solves it.

Also had to help someone that did update from 10.15.0 to 10.15.1 and completely wedged themselves (won't boot properly, recovery can't complete) This is why I put it in Target Disk Mode, copied all the user files. Reformatted the drive and reinstall 10.15.1, re setup account, and put back their files.

Catalina has got to be a major problem for Apple given the prevalence of problems. Pretty clear both HW and SW quality are deteriorating.

Couldnot open any files.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.