Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina USB turntable won’t record in audacity or garageband

I have just upgraded to Catalina. I’ve also just purchased an audio TecHnica lp5 Turntable to input my vinyl. In system settings the input sees the turntable and the volume bar moves when I record is played. However neither in audacity or GarageBand can I get any response from selecting it as an input. Absolutely no waveform movement or any sign that either program I’ll seeing the turntable. I heard that audacity may be a problem as Apple have closed the loop for free software developers, which is a sin, but it also doesn’t work in GarageBand.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Nov 17, 2019 12:23 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Nov 18, 2019 2:47 AM in response to Jemski44

It's true that Audacity 2.3.2 will not record on Catalina even if you have Audacity checked in System Prefs / Security&Privacy / Privacy / Microphone.

However there is a workaround posted in the Audacity forum that involves using Terminal. You can find it here: https://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=107162&p=378694.

I have tried it and it works.

Catalina USB turntable won’t record in audacity or garageband

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.