Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recording Audio to MacBook Pro 2019 from stereo system

Is there a way to connect a stereo system to a MacBook Pro 2019 so I can record some of my old vinyl? I've tried connecting the headphone jack from the stereo amp to the headphone jack on the MacBook Pro and it does seem to recognize the cable as a new input device. However, when I am playing music through the stereo no sound appears to be registered on the MacBook Pro - not through the speakers (and I've made sure the speaker output is to the MacBook speakers and the input is from the MacBook Headphone jack). The recording software that I am using on the MacBook is set to use the input from the MacBook jack, however, no sound is recording in the software. If I connect headphones to the stereo headphone jack I do hear the music.

The USB-C ports do not seem to recognize an RCA to USB-C connection as audio input. Perhaps there are USB devices available that the MacBook Pro would recognize as an audio input device?

Any suggestions as what to try?

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on May 28, 2022 3:37 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Jun 1, 2022 5:21 AM in response to rotorblades

rotorblades wrote:

Is there a way to connect a stereo system to a MacBook Pro 2019 so I can record some of my old vinyl? I've tried connecting the headphone jack from the stereo amp to the headphone jack on the MacBook Pro and it does seem to recognize the cable as a new input device. However, when I am playing music through the stereo no sound appears to be registered on the MacBook Pro - not through the speakers (and I've made sure the speaker output is to the MacBook speakers and the input is from the MacBook Headphone jack). The recording software that I am using on the MacBook is set to use the input from the MacBook jack, however, no sound is recording in the software. If I connect headphones to the stereo headphone jack I do hear the music.

The USB-C ports do not seem to recognize an RCA to USB-C connection as audio input. Perhaps there are USB devices available that the MacBook Pro would recognize as an audio input device?

Any suggestions as what to try?

Intel 2019 MBP 16"

If you can’t record audio on a Mac using macOS Mojave or later - Apple Support

Change the sound input settings on Mac - Apple Support

Set up MIDI devices using Audio MIDI Setup on Mac - Apple ...

>System Preferences>Security & Privacy>Privacy>Full Disk Access may get you going by adding your software here

Recording Audio to MacBook Pro 2019 from stereo system

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.