Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keep Mac from reopening apps on reboot

Lately my MacBook has been reopening apps when I reboot. It might be related to the Catalina update, since this hasn't previously been a problem. I always quit all apps before I shut down; I've tried unchecking the "reopen windows" box when I shut down; I've checked in system preferences and I don't have any apps listed as login items. Nevertheless, whatever apps I had opened before I shut down the computer open automatically the next time I reboot. Does anyone know how to keep this from happening?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 17, 2019 10:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2019 12:09 PM

I suspect that the same check box is preselected on the Restart and Logout dialogs, and until you uncheck these, it may still reopen applications on reboot — despite having unchecked that selection in the Shutdown dialog.

In System Preferences : General, you will also need to select Close windows when quitting an app.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 17, 2019 12:09 PM in response to Souffle_Girl

I suspect that the same check box is preselected on the Restart and Logout dialogs, and until you uncheck these, it may still reopen applications on reboot — despite having unchecked that selection in the Shutdown dialog.

In System Preferences : General, you will also need to select Close windows when quitting an app.

Keep Mac from reopening apps on reboot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.