Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos cannot play this video because the resource is unavailable + CaseConflict folder in Photos file structure

I started panicking when almost all of my videos suddenly couldn't be played in Photos. For background I've been using a 2013 Retina MacBook Pro 15" with my iPhoto and Photos library on an external hard drive that's formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) for quite some time. We recently purchased a 27" iMac 2019 to use as a family computer and set up Catalina and Photos on that machine. I also have a Synology at home that I sync my photos to with their Drive syncing application. Previously I had the Masters and Masters.legacy folders inside my Photos library, but after running into this issue I looked into my Photos library and saw I also had a new "originals_Josephs-iMac.local_Nov-11-233725-2019_CaseConflict" folder there that contains around 96% of my images and videos. I see that I have a "Modified", "Originals", and "Originals_" that just contain text like

XSym
ab9b5124469b56854fda2bf8fed2298f
./Masters

After some research it looks like the CaseConflict folder might've been caused by the Synology Drive client having problems with the two way sync? I've switched it to be a one way upload to my Synology only, and have also tried to repair my Photo library. Unfortunately it didn't seem to move everything back into the right place.

At this point what can I do to move everything back to the proper locations so my videos (and I'm guessing some images) are working properly? I want to make sure I don't lose any files. Should I create a new Photos library and import images directly from Finder hoping all the original capture metadata is still there?

I also have a lot of old files in there since I've been carrying this library since iPhoto days. The oldest file in Photos Library.photoslibrary is from Nov 6, 2010 named "Library6.iPhoto" and I also have an iPhoto Library folder that has files dating back to 2007. I'm thinking maybe if I have to it's time to clean out the old cruft from upgrading. I'm assuming if I do make a new Library I'll lose all the trained people data, memories, etc that Apple does now though.

Sorry for the long post, any help would be appreciated, TIA!

Joe

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 17, 2019 10:47 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

Nov 18, 2019 2:53 PM in response to joegolo

How is the Synology hard drive formatted? Is it OS X Extended (journaled) and case insensitive? The Photos app changes all file names to all caps. If the Synology backup software uses lower case in writing files that could be an issue with Photos.

I don't think you'll be able to reconstruct your library from the master/original files in the current library. That's because Photos V5 assigns arbitrary file names to each photo as it imports. They look like this:

There's no rhyme or reason to the numbering and the files will not have any of the metadata that was assigned in Photos, i.e. titles, keywords, descriptions, etc.

Nov 18, 2019 10:22 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks for the response Toad. The Synology is a Linux system and is using an ext4 formatted hard drive. Some quick searching and it seems like it is case sensitive because it's Linux based.

Do you happen to know what I can clean up inside the Photos Library folder? I was creating a new Photos library while at work to try to figure out what's inside a new (non-migrated) empty Photos library. It was pretty clean inside with just a handful of folders and obviously none of those old iPhoto files. I noticed when I added an image it creates a hash and placed it in originals/B/random letters.jpeg. This one retained the file name, but when I re-imported it, it had the hashed name and also didn't detect it was a duplicate either. It at least kept some of the EXIF metadata though.

I'm currently duplicating my Photos Library so I can try testing a few things out, but I wonder if I can delete the "Originals_" file and rename my folder to "originals_" and see if it can pick things back up since it seems like it has the same folder structure in there...

Just spit balling ideas, I appreciate the time to read my post and your input. I suppose worst worst worst case scenario I'll make a new Photo Library, browse the current Photo Library, and manually drag all of those images over potentially losing file names and some tags and having to rebuild the memory and face catalog and all that, but I'll at least be able to start clean on Photos V5 and will have all the images and videos working. At that point will I be able to delete my old iPhoto Library and current Photos Library that has migrated leftover files. I think as long as I make sure my photo and video count is the same, that hopefully means I haven't lost anything.

Nov 18, 2019 12:58 PM in response to joegolo

I have a very basic setup. All photos (big library) on internal drive (2019 iMac 2tb ssd).

Same deal. Resource unavailable for many videos. Endless loop of photosanalysis. New pics not automatically downloading to computer (only low res preview). Been trouble shooting with apple for 4 weeks.

latest step was to create test user and download entire library to external drive. Seemed to do trick. Copied that newly downloaded library over to the old user ID. Set it as system library for that user ID and tested it. Same deal. Resource not found for a bunch of videos. went back to test user Id, now that library doing same.

sh^t show and zero help from apple

Nov 19, 2019 3:09 AM in response to joegolo

appreciate the reply. i have a 1.7tb library going up to a 2tb account. i do have iCloud turned on, and its doing some but not all of the work it should be doing (since i can see new iOS shot pics and videos coming to my computer, I know this --> however, they are only low res previews. i need to click on a given picture and expand it to download the original).

Photos cannot play this video because the resource is unavailable + CaseConflict folder in Photos file structure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.