Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Desktop Slide Show Does Not use Entire Library

I purchased a new Mac in January 2021. It is running Monterey 12.3.1. I keep it updated regularly. Shortly for getting the computer and transferring all my files and records I discovered that my desktop slideshow that I use as an entertainment for when the computer is not in use no longer is utilizing the 11K photos I have in my library. It only uses the same extremely limited number of photos, probably numbering under 1000. Can I create duplicate photo library and then use it as an option when I select my source for the slide show? I would normally select System Preferences, then Desktop and Screensaver, then highlight Screensaver, the select Source. In Source I show a few options, Photos, Colors, Choose Library and Photo Library. When I select Photo Library, it comes up as Photos, and within the window I can see all of my 11K++ photos (which are visible if I just select my photos to view them) and I can scroll through the entire album, but when I do select that option, I am stuck in the limited library that keeps recirculating over and over. Even in the small window the images are limited, just like the full screen is.

As an aside, I also have an issue with many of the pictures showing turned 90 degrees from the way they are in the library itself. Both of these issues only reared themselves after an update to Monterey. I no longer recall if it was Monterey itself that caused the issues or a step up from 12.0 to whatever level. It has been frustrating at the least. No further updates have made any changes.

I'm hoping that creating a duplicate folder might mitigate my problem, however I don't know what would happen when I add new photos to the computer. Would they only go to the original folder requiring me to manually add them to the duplicate folder?

iMac 27″, macOS 12.2

Posted on May 8, 2022 2:53 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

May 9, 2022 10:36 AM in response to Paul Tabone1

Hello Paul Tabone1,

Thank you for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Let's attempt to repair your photo library first prior to creating a duplicate. This will allow us to analyze the library's database and repair any inconsistencies it detects. 

"To get to the Photos Repair Library tool on your Mac, follow these steps: 

1. If Photos is open, close the app. Then, while you click to open Photos, hold down the Command and Option keys at the same time.
  2. In the window that opens, click Repair to start the repair process. You might be asked to enter your user account password.

The Repair Library tool analyzes the library's database and repairs any inconsistencies it detects. Depending on the size of your library, the repairs might take some time. When the process is done, Photos opens the library."

More information can be found here: How to use the Photos Repair Library on your Mac

Let us know if the issue persists.

Good Luck!

May 9, 2022 1:53 PM in response to Paul Tabone1

You can only use one library as your system library, and that is the one from which the slideshow is taken from. But also every other time when you select images from your library.

A better solution would be to export the photos you want in the slideshow to a disk folder. You could probably export smaller image sizes to match your monitor resolution, so saving space. Then you can select the folder as the source for the slideshow.

May 10, 2022 4:50 PM in response to TonyCollinet

I simply copied all the exiting phots to a new file and opted for that to be the source. While it is still early in the testing procedure, it appears that your idea has resolved both problems. It seems that I am viewing images that I was unable to see previously plus I am not seeing images that are 90 degrees out of vertical, the other problem I was having.

Thanks~

Desktop Slide Show Does Not use Entire Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.