Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No sound in iMovie

When I import video clips from my mac into iMovie the sound disappears (except for a split second at the beginning of each clip). Anybody know how to resolve this problem?

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Nov 18, 2019 2:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2019 12:10 AM

That's strange. Try using Handbrake to convert your clips to Mp4/AAC even though they are already in that format. Sometimes a conversion clears up glitches. Then see if the sound will play in iMovie.

When you select the clip in the timeline and click on the little loudspeaker icon in the tool at the upper right of your screen, is the box checked that says "Lower volume of other clips"? If so, try unchecking it.

-- Rich

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 19, 2019 12:10 AM in response to chilly59

That's strange. Try using Handbrake to convert your clips to Mp4/AAC even though they are already in that format. Sometimes a conversion clears up glitches. Then see if the sound will play in iMovie.

When you select the clip in the timeline and click on the little loudspeaker icon in the tool at the upper right of your screen, is the box checked that says "Lower volume of other clips"? If so, try unchecking it.

-- Rich

Nov 18, 2019 9:05 AM in response to chilly59

What operating system and iMovie version are you using? Have you updated to Catalina and current iMovie? Does the audio portion of the video clip show wave forms when in the timeline (Settings button above and to the right of the timeline/Show Waveforms). What format is the audio? iMovie likes AAC. You can check the format by opening the video in QuickTimePlayer and clicking on Window/Show Movie Inspector.

After displaying the wave forms confirm that the horizontal volume line has been pushed up to allow sound in the clip.

If all O.K. there, try opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if you get sound.

Also, possibly the issue is confined to just one project. To rule that out, create a new project and import your clip into it to see if you get sound.

You can also try using a video converter like Handbrake to convert the clip to Mp4/AAC that Handbrake will do by default. You can get Handbrake here:

https://handbrake.fr/

If nothing seems to be helping, you might try redownloading iMovie. To do that, drag your present iMovie app from the Applications folder to the trash, but don't empty the trash.

-- Rich

Nov 18, 2019 11:36 PM in response to chilly59

I'm using Catalina and iMovie 10.1.13.

There are no waveforms showing in the blue bar except for a fraction of a second around the beginning of the clips.

The clips are mp4/AAC

I've tried starting a new project and still no sound.

I've re-downloaded iMovie and still the same problem (other clips import fine with their sound).

The clips I'm trying to import play fine in QuickTime player with sound.

It's obviously something that iMovie doesn't like about these particular clips when importing them.

No sound in iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.