Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

sound won't play in imovie

Hi Everyone, I'm trying to edit a friend's Mp4 video in iMovie version 10.1.14 on an iMac running Mojave 10.14.6. When I open the Mp4 in Quicktime, the audio plays normally and is audible. But after I import the video to iMovie, though I can see the waveform on the timeline, when I play the clip on the timeline, no audio is audible. When I export, there is no audio as well. Anybody have any idea what's going on? Thanks much.

iMac 21.5" 4K, macOS 10.14

Posted on Feb 4, 2020 12:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2020 12:58 PM

Do you possibly have an earphone jack or other audio device plugged into the audio socket? That would kill the audio in iMovie. If so, unplug the device. To cover the bases, make sure that you have the volume on your Mac turned up.

Also, it could be that the audio is in an audio format that is not compatible with iMovie. You could try making a duplicate of the video and, working with the duplicate, use the free download Handbrake to convert the clip to H.264, Mp4/AAC that iMovie likes. Do the conversion even if the clip is already H.264, Mp4/AAC. You can check the codecs by opening the clip in QuickTimePlayer and doing a Window/Show Movie Inspector. In the box that appears you will see the video and audio codecs. Look for AAC (Advanced Audio Codec).

You can get Handbrake here:

https://handbrake.fr/

-- Rich

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2020 12:58 PM in response to RidhwanTim

Do you possibly have an earphone jack or other audio device plugged into the audio socket? That would kill the audio in iMovie. If so, unplug the device. To cover the bases, make sure that you have the volume on your Mac turned up.

Also, it could be that the audio is in an audio format that is not compatible with iMovie. You could try making a duplicate of the video and, working with the duplicate, use the free download Handbrake to convert the clip to H.264, Mp4/AAC that iMovie likes. Do the conversion even if the clip is already H.264, Mp4/AAC. You can check the codecs by opening the clip in QuickTimePlayer and doing a Window/Show Movie Inspector. In the box that appears you will see the video and audio codecs. Look for AAC (Advanced Audio Codec).

You can get Handbrake here:

https://handbrake.fr/

-- Rich

sound won't play in imovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.