Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Public wifi login page isn't triggered

Hello,

I'm having an issue with my 2012 MBP (Catalina 10.15) where I cannot connect to public wifi networks that have a login page (Starbucks, McDonald's, etc.). The page never pops up. I have tried numerous tricks (just try navigating to a site, try going to captive.apple.com, etc.) and none of them work. I have restarted the computer, forgotten and readded networks, etc. Nothing works. This is an on-going issue. Very frustrating that I can only connect to private wifi networks.

I have seen older posts about this but none of the suggestions on those posts work for me.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 18, 2019 6:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2019 6:37 AM

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, Mike!

I understand you're not able to sign onto public Wi-Fi due to the login portal never appearing. I'd be happy to provide information to help you address this.

Try connecting to that Wi-Fi network while in safe mode: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

Let us know the results.

Have a great day!

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2019 6:37 AM in response to twist86

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, Mike!

I understand you're not able to sign onto public Wi-Fi due to the login portal never appearing. I'd be happy to provide information to help you address this.

Try connecting to that Wi-Fi network while in safe mode: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

Let us know the results.

Have a great day!

Dec 3, 2019 11:27 PM in response to twist86

I have this problem to.

There's a small "helper" called "Captive Network Assistant" that's supposed to check if you're on a network that wants to redirect you to a login page, and then launch that page in a login window.

Apparently there's a bug in MacOS that prevents that app from starting and running as it should, but thankfully it can be launched manually:

1. Go to [Your startup disk name]/System/Library/CoreServices
  2. Dubble click "Captive Network Assistant.app" - The login prompt should appear now
  3. Optional: Make an alias of it and place on your desktop for easy access every time you're on a public wifi.

Dec 4, 2019 6:26 AM in response to perfectn

THANK YOU!!!!!! That did the trick so far -- saw your message and drove right to a McDonald's to try it -- worked perfectly. Please share your answer with Apple since they wasted hours and hours of my time by not suggesting this. Seriously think it's because they don't like to admit they have bugs so they ignore them or try to cover them up until they can be "magically" fixed. My 3 supports calls were all Apple telling me I had something wrong with MY software or something that I installed on my computer was breaking it and their security change was for my own good. Thanks much.

Public wifi login page isn't triggered

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.