Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Public wifi no longer accessible, error message

Hi!

so I have a question and hopefully I will be able to explain it well enough to get some answers.

I have a 2012 MacBook Pro and I do a lot of work at a coffee shop with a public wifi that requires a login page to pop up first. I recently went there and the login page did not pop up automatically, so I went to the login page manually. I received an error message saying that a connection could not be established, and that I needed to check my proxies and firewalls. I opened network preferences and saw that my computer recognized the wifi network as functioning normally, it just wouldn’t let me get past the login page.

i cleared my browser history and cookies and tried again. Same issue.

i updated my OS to Catalina, and still it wouldn’t let me connect.

other people in the coffee shop were online so it seemed to be a problem with my laptop specifically.

is there any other troubleshooting tricks I can try? Thanks for taking the time to read this!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 20, 2019 4:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2019 7:25 PM

Hey Twbrierley,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities! I understand you're running into an issue connecting to a public Wi-Fi. I know how important it is to have access to the internet, and I'm happy to help.

I want to share the resources below with you as these both offer some great troubleshooting for connecting to Wi-Fi on the Mac.

If you can't connect to a Wi-Fi on Mac

Troubleshoot joining a Wi-Fi network on Mac

If those steps don't help, would you mind answering the following so we can continue working toward a resolution?

Are you able to connect to other Wi-Fi networks without issue?

Have you recently installed any new apps or security software?

Thanks again, and have a great day!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2019 7:25 PM in response to Twbrierley

Hey Twbrierley,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities! I understand you're running into an issue connecting to a public Wi-Fi. I know how important it is to have access to the internet, and I'm happy to help.

I want to share the resources below with you as these both offer some great troubleshooting for connecting to Wi-Fi on the Mac.

If you can't connect to a Wi-Fi on Mac

Troubleshoot joining a Wi-Fi network on Mac

If those steps don't help, would you mind answering the following so we can continue working toward a resolution?

Are you able to connect to other Wi-Fi networks without issue?

Have you recently installed any new apps or security software?

Thanks again, and have a great day!

Public wifi no longer accessible, error message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.