Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Connect to Internet from Public Wifi since Catalina

My MacBook Pro is unable to get to the internet through Public Wifi systems. I've rebooted numerous times (at Starbucks etc); tried the "go to a web link" fix...nothing; I've messed around with DNS deletions, additions, etc; in other words, I've tried just about every fix I've found online.

Today I chatted with Apple at a Starbucks (I used hotspot with my iPhone). He had me try numerous things (to include creating another admin account and change Safari settings, on and on), all to no avail. No fix.

This began the day I updated to Catalina. The computer finds the wifi and connects (in the green), but the login never pops up and any website I try gives me the "not connected to internet" message.

I do a lot of work with clients using various public systems and could use a little help (moral support as well...it's been a serious bummer).

Ideas?

Posted on Oct 16, 2019 6:56 PM

9 replies

Oct 17, 2019 11:27 AM in response to RMFenwick

Grant (and anyone who sees this thread):

I continued having the problem (it began the day I downloaded Catalina) with being able to connect to public wifi but not getting to the internet. Called Apple 3 times...this last call provided a simple fix (at least for me).

1. Booted up into Safe Mode
  2. Connected to Starbucks public wifi
  3. opened safari and went straight to google.com (and others)...all websites were opening.
  4. performed a RESTART from safe mode.
  5. Once the computer rebooted from restart, internet connections (all) were finally established.

All other attempts (DNS tweaks, location changes, etc) didn't help. This particular sequence was what fixed my problem.

Thank you Grant for giving me some ideas...I've seen numerous other uses asking the same question. Maybe this fix will help them as well.

Regards

Oct 16, 2019 7:14 PM in response to RMFenwick

sometimes the Domain Name Server (DNS) lookup you need (to look up an Internet telephone number from a symbolic site-name) may be being blocked as well. The suggestion is to use a Numeric address in the search bar.

candidates include:

1.1.1.1 because it is so easy to remember, not because you need anything from CloudFlare, the owner of that site.

17.142.160.59 the address of the Apple splash page

the address shown for the Router when you connect, possibly something like 192.168.0.1 or 10.0.0.1

Oct 17, 2019 12:42 PM in response to RMFenwick

I am unconcerned about where it came form, I am trying to figure out why so many folks are posting, saying they can't get on public Wi-Fi, but the guy next to them can just fine.

top candidate software that comes to mind:

• so-called anti-Virus scanners

• VPN software

• third-party firewall software

• managed-client software

• Proxy server software

• anything you can think of that might have any impact whatever on your networking

Oct 17, 2019 12:47 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Ah...I see what you're getting at. I don't have any software related to any of the list here. Straight up MacBook Pro. One thing does come to mind though: I installed 1Password about a year ago. that's about it.

One thing to keep in mind (I think): this began the very day I installed Catalina. Everything worked perfectly prior to that. Seems like a good place to start.

Oct 17, 2019 1:04 PM in response to RMFenwick

You said using Safe Mode to establish the connection worked fine. Did you use any numeric site "names" or did it just connect?

If it just connected in Safe Mode, that is Catalina software minus third-party extensions. I think of it as minus kernel extensions, but I guess there are now other kinds of extensions as well.

1password might be something to track down. Perhaps that is related. It certainly is a popular package, and users "forget it is there"

Can't Connect to Internet from Public Wifi since Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.