Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No internet connection after Catalina upgrade

My MacBook PRO was on Mojave OS, and just by upgrading to Catalina, the internet stopped working.

The WIFI is able to connect but I cannot navigate (neither Safari nor Firefox). Other devices connected to the same network work perfectly and my machine worked fine just before the update to Catalina.

Something quite strange is that; even though I can't surf the internet, I can connect to my actual VPN (Endpoint Security), but even then I can't surf.

I have extensively reviewed the recommendations on this forum and have not been able to resolve the issue.

I tried to isolate the problem by creating a new administrator user and was able to connect and browse but erratically, the internet connection is lost from time to time, about 5 times a day.

Any suggestion?

Posted on Oct 15, 2020 8:32 AM

14 replies

Oct 15, 2020 12:58 PM in response to JairoContreras

Try this:

1. Open system preferences
  2. Open Network
  3. Click on Locations (it probably says automatic)
  4. Go to edit locations and then click on + sign
  5. Name your new location, anything will do
  6. Try and log onto a WiFi network where you know the network name and password. Your home network might work well.
  7. If this works go back to Automatic and this should work too

from this post

Oct 16, 2020 7:30 AM in response to JairoContreras

I don't know how I missed that re: VPN. I'm sorry. I'm thinking to reinstall VPN.

Then, Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and see if you can connect.

• Fwiw, I came across articles about macOS Catalina and VPN tunnel service issue for some.

Maybe this is something useful for you to look at: https://github.com/hwdsl2/setup-ipsec-vpn/issues/715

Oct 17, 2020 7:35 AM in response to Cåts

New day and I have good good news.

I received a response from KeepSolid VPN Unlimited:

"It seems like you have not uninstalled the application on your other system user on your Mac.

Please try to log in with other users to the system and check if VPN Unlimited is not uninstalled yet"

The recommendation was a little weird to me because I used to have only one system user (it is my personal laptop and no one else use it), and I created a 2nd admin user just for isolate this issue.

Even do, I restarted and tried to login using the Guest User, and I COULDN'T LOGIN: Guest User was asking for a password (Why?)

So, I login with my original system user, and then I switched to the Guest User. In this case I do was able to login.

After that was easy:

System Preferences -> Network

The VPN Unlimited was BLINKING, trying to connect (on and off) on the left pannel.

It was a kind of chasing to select it (It moved so fast from top to bottom), then I deleted, logouted of Guest User and DONE: Internet is back.

I assumed Guest user is DELETED every time a machine is restarted but not, for some reason VPN Unlimited was there in the Network Preferences, trying to get connected.

I'm happy, the problem went away and I learned something new. Thanks for your support and hopefully could help others.

Oct 15, 2020 1:26 PM in response to Cåts

Thanks Cåts but didn't work.

So far I tried:

• Turning Wi-Fi on and off
  • Restarting my machine
  • Connecting to a different network and to a phone using as a Hostpot
  • Creating a new Location (under Preferences->Network)
  • Deleting and adding Wi-Fi network (left pannel under Preferences->Network)
  • Isolate issue, creating a new Admin User: Issue was temporary solved (Internet is lost time to time but still)
  • I was looking on the Console view and found a very strange process many times:

Process: nesessionmanager

Message: NESMIKEv2VPNSession [Primary Tunnel: VPN Unlimited BDABB51A-7845-43E9-A633-6B05D7FBD5BC (Null)]

I used to have VPN Unlimited but it was uninstalled about 3 years ago. The app does not show under apps folder neither on Preferences->Network

Any idea?

No internet connection after Catalina upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.