Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi interface is missing after updating mac OS Monterey

Hello all,

Surprisingly, I am facing a wifi/Bluetooth interface issue in my MacBook Pro in early 2015 13" inch after updating the system software. The wifi symbol is showing with a '!' mark. Bluetooth is working fine for now. But I can't see any wifi/Bluetooth interfaces to add, minus, or edit in the list. right now I am using the internet via LAN cable. I have found similar articles but with a different OS and MacBook device also.

I would like to know the technical aspects behind this issue if possible. I have tried soft reset also. If anybody has any idea on this, please do suggest to resolve the issue. Any suggestion is appreciated. Please find the images inserted.

Wifi enable/disable option is greyed out.

Wifi/Bluetooth interface is missing in the list

Wifi interface missing - Apple Community

https://www.lifewire.com/reset-network-settings-on-mac-5184072

Thank you.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Dec 12, 2022 10:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2023 4:25 PM

I have encountered this same issue on my 13" early 2015 Macbook Pro. Unfortunately, at some point Apple has made an update that seems to prevent the airport card from working in these Macbooks. I have done all of the suggested steps (safe mode, NVRAM reset, SMC reset, etc.). After that, I did a full re-install to Monterey and the problem persisted. At that point, I assumed the airport card was faulty. So, I ordered a new airport card for my Macbook. Once installed I was still encountering the same issue!

At this point, I assumed it has to be something with Monterey. So I created a bootable version of High Sierra and installed that. (See here). After downgrading to High Sierra, my wifi works again! However, I cannot perform any updates to High Sierra, or I lose wifi again.

This has all been a huge waste of time and I'm disappointed in Apple. They state that Monterey should work on this laptop and I ended up spending a huge chunk of time and some money on replacing hardware that did not need to be replaced. I hope you have better luck, but your issue appears to be identical to mine.

Similar questions

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 9, 2023 4:25 PM in response to yadavvallinagmani

I have encountered this same issue on my 13" early 2015 Macbook Pro. Unfortunately, at some point Apple has made an update that seems to prevent the airport card from working in these Macbooks. I have done all of the suggested steps (safe mode, NVRAM reset, SMC reset, etc.). After that, I did a full re-install to Monterey and the problem persisted. At that point, I assumed the airport card was faulty. So, I ordered a new airport card for my Macbook. Once installed I was still encountering the same issue!

At this point, I assumed it has to be something with Monterey. So I created a bootable version of High Sierra and installed that. (See here). After downgrading to High Sierra, my wifi works again! However, I cannot perform any updates to High Sierra, or I lose wifi again.

This has all been a huge waste of time and I'm disappointed in Apple. They state that Monterey should work on this laptop and I ended up spending a huge chunk of time and some money on replacing hardware that did not need to be replaced. I hope you have better luck, but your issue appears to be identical to mine.

Dec 28, 2022 3:31 PM in response to emde-ash

If you still don't have the WiFi issue sorted out give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Dec 14, 2022 2:35 PM in response to yadavvallinagmani

Hi yadavvallinagmani,

Have you tried restarting your Mac to see if the issue persists? This can sometimes help with minor software issues. Also, here's some information from the resource that might be helpful: If your Mac isn't connecting to the internet over Wi-Fi

"Use the built-in diagnostic tools

Wi-Fi Recommendations. Click Wi-Fi  in Control Center or the menu bar and check for a menu item named Wi-Fi Recommendations. If you see it, your Mac has detected an issue and has recommendations. Choose Wi-Fi Recommendations to learn more.*

Wireless Diagnostics. Press and hold the Option key on your keyboard while clicking Wi-Fi  in Control Center or the menu bar, then choose Open Wireless Diagnostics from the menu. Learn more about using Wireless Diagnostics to analyze your wireless environment."

If things persist you can reach out for additional support here: Get Support

Take care.

Dec 28, 2022 1:03 PM in response to yadavvallinagmani

your mac computer specifications : MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) - Technical Specifications

please make full "Time Machine" backup : Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

then please apply NVRAM+PRAM RESET process, see key-combinations/details here:

Mac startup key combinations - Apple Support

Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Restore your Mac from a backup - Apple Support

( if you need to printout main/some of the above web-pages, then please do so, before beginning reset process , or keep your mobile phone accessible to this web-page )

Dec 28, 2022 2:00 PM in response to yadavvallinagmani

ah i see your pic,

then your mac computer's specifications is this:

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015) - Technical Specifications

and BEFORE doing the Reset process, try these:

Start the "Terminal" (utility) window in macOS, run below commands:

Below command will show various adapter names, we need to know WiFi adapter's GUI name & WiFi net-adapter's name:

$ sudo networksetup -listallnetworkservices

if result list has:

Wi-Fi

or

*Wi-Fi

then your wifi adapter is "Wi-Fi".

( the *Wi-Fi indicates its disabled/off )

the command "ifconfig -a" can show all net-adapter ip-adrs etc info.

usually by matching the ip-adrs shown inside Wi-Fi area, and the ip-address shown in the ifconfig result,

a user can deduct, whats the WiFi network adapter's name. Lets assume its "en0", then in below commands instead of using "Wi-Fi" , one can also use "en0".

Enable WiFi service (Enable WiFi Adapter):

$ sudo networksetup -setnetworkserviceenabled Wi-Fi on

Disable WiFi service (Disable WiFi Adapter):

$ sudo networksetup -setnetworkserviceenabled Wi-Fi off

Turn WiFi Radio Power Off:

$ sudo networksetup -setairportpower Wi-Fi off

Turn WiFi Radio Power On:

$ sudo networksetup -setairportpower Wi-Fi on

if you are trying to turn-on wifi adapter, then try above "enable" or "turn-on" commands.

if you are trying to turn-on wifi adapter, then try above "disable" or "turn-off" commands.

( before RESET , make sure, you used the "enable" & "turn-on" commands ).

You can wait for others to suggest something better, ... its always your choice, what you want to do, we (apple-discussion forum users) can only suggest.

Dec 28, 2022 5:23 PM in response to emde-ash

or TEST by toggling the BT (Bluetooth):

run various TEST by keeping BT at ON , & run same TEST again by keeping BT at OFF.

By the way, in another similar issue case, what we/i found out:

The last user of Macbook AIR / PRO used it for macOS BootCamp, to run Microsoft Windows,

there he/she disabled the WiFi, and used an USB based Ethernet adapter (or an USB based WiFi Adapter of his/her own choice), that is compatible with Microsoft Windows,

But before selling or before passing, she/he did not enable the WiFi back,

So new buyer/user noticed WiFi was not working anymore !!

Command-lines or GUI or NVRAM-REST ... none worked.

New user/buyer, had to reinstall BootCamp and Windows (trial) in mac computer,

enable builtin WiFi adapter in BootCamp, by reloading back all Bootcamp related drivers, ...

... then, WiFi worked in macOS.

... ( ofcourse, then you can also remove/unsinstall BootCamp/Windows. )

BootCamp (more info):

Install Windows 10 on your Mac with Boot Camp Assistant - Apple Support

Use Apple Software Update to fix Wi-Fi issues in Boot Camp - Apple Support

Dec 30, 2022 3:07 PM in response to Ahmadabdussalaminuwa

please also try commands shown in this message/post : Wifi interface is missing after updating … - Apple Community

if you have the "Time Machine" backup done, then do below process.

always keep both BT & WiFI on/enabled, if possible.

you can do a complete FACTORY RESET process,

& re-load the default macOS that it was shipped with,

then again please do NVRAM / PRAM RESET process.

so for this to work you may need an USB WiFi adapter (macOS compatible), so that it can connect to internet.

or, create the macOS bootable media, with a specific macOS, that was used during supply from factory.

if those are not working ... then, wait for others to advice you,

and/or, if possible then take it to a nearby Apple Care center & request to check+replace the WiFi adapter card inside it.

By the way, TO USE EXTERNAL USB WiFi ADAPTER

( when existing WiFi is NOT-WORKING or too-slow )

in mac computer with macOS 11 & 11+ ( 12, 13, ... ) : BigSur, Monterey, Ventura etc,

at this moment you have to follow steps/solutions mentioned here:

https://github.com/chris1111/Wireless-USB-Big-Sur-Adapter

and also see this , this.

If you want to discuss with apple developers community on it, then start here.

To use external USB WiFI adapter with mac computer with macOS Catalina 10.15.4 , 10.15.5 , 10.15.6 , 10.15.7 , then you can see this page, there are also other USB adapters that works in macOS mentioned in this paragraph.

Also see the adapters listed in this ("chris1111") link.

To use external USB WiFI adapter with mac computer with macOS 10.15.3 (Catalina) or below, you can see TPLink/Archer adapter & their drivers from their website works fine.

Also see the adapters listed in this ("chris1111") link.

To use external USB WiFI adapter with mac computer with macOS 10.14 (Mojave) or below, you can use drivers from the manufacturers.

See the adapters listed in this ("chris1111") link.

By the way, an external USB WiFi adapter will become "en1" in macbook AIR type computers (which has NO ETHERNET port),

and, an external USB WiFi adapter will become "en2" in macbook PRO type computers (which has ETHERNET port).

Dec 28, 2022 4:31 PM in response to Ahmadabdussalaminuwa

yes, you are right, command-line commands that starts with the $ symbol,

the number 3 & 4 does not work on Monterey.

But try the other commands 5 & 6 in this way , works fine in our/my side:

Turn WiFi Radio Power Off:

$ sudo networksetup -setairportpower en0 off

Turn WiFi Radio Power On:

$ sudo networksetup -setairportpower en0 on

The "en0" is the Macbook AIR type of mac computer's 1st network adapter, wifi adapter, as macbook air does not have any ethernet network adapter ports.

Only way user can use network in Macbook AIR is by using the builtin WiFi adapter or an USB-to-WiFi adapter or USB-to-Ethernet adapter, etc or similar adapter/cables.

If user is using a Macbook PRO type computer, then "en0" is usually the ethernet port, and "en1" is the WiFi adapter.

use this to see all net adapter info:

$ ifconfig -a

Also, please use the DIAGNOSTICS option buttons/keys, to run diagnostics analysis on it, (see the link i mentioned earlier on "Mac startup key combinations").

Best is to do the NVRAM etc RESET steps 1st, (detail steps for it i mentioned earlier), then other commands can work better.

and during these TEST phases, keep Bluetooth also ON.

Dec 29, 2022 12:22 AM in response to yadavvallinagmani

if you are 100% sure, that previous owner did not install any BootCamp, You did not install any BootCamp, ... then NVRAM-RESET etc process as explained earlier , is better steps , & should solve it.

but if you just recently obtained/received mac-computer from another seller or a person,

and if that person installed BootCamp,

or you dont know if that person installed BootCamp or not,

then assume previous owner did that, thats why such problem is occurring,

so then. 1st re-install BootCamp & Windows, fix builtin wireless in Windows running inside macOS-bootcamp paritition ,

enable the mac computer's WiFi adapter inside the WIndows (thats running in macOS-bootcamp partition),

then, BOOT into macOS, & you should see, builtin WiFi is working back,

if WiFi is working back, then delete the BootCamp & Windows, by using the BootCamp-Assistant in macOS.

Again do one more time, NVRAM RESET process, then you can begin to use it normally.

if WiFi is still not-working, then wait for others to participate and find other solutions, if others want to.

By the way, if a newer macOS version shows that your mac computer is not-compatible , then do not force load that into your mac computer , as some hardware drivers will not work in newer macOS,

because older mac computer have older hardware , for which drivers are not yet available in new macOS.

If you have HyperVisor software (VMWare, VirtualBox, etc) running, that is reserving the WiFi adapter or BT adapter, then release that from inside the hypervisor software also.

Release other USB peripherals also.

Above problem & repair-process worked for many many users, exact same problem, exact same solution,

so why will it not work in your case, is a mistry, that requires a next chapter of investigations.

Wifi interface is missing after updating mac OS Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.