Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini internet speeds faster than M1 Mac Studio (both ethernet and WiFi)

I've been running speed tests on my M1 Mac Studio (64 GB memory and 4TB ssd) and my Mac Mini (late 2014) and there is a significant difference in download speeds both with WiFi and Ethernet.

Mac Mini download speeds: WiFi - 239Mbps; Ethernet 239 Mbps (little variability from test to test)

M1 Mac Studio download speeds: Wifi - 160 to 211 Mbps; Ethernet - 60 to 88 Mbps (speeds vary significantly from test to test) Even more surprising is the fact that WiFi downloads are more than twice as fast as ethernet!

This has been the situation ever since I received my Mac Studio in August.

I have done a clean install of Ventura and I am using Cat 7 ethernet cables with no improvement.

I believe there is something wrong with the M1 Macs that Apple needs to fix.

Mac Studio, macOS 13.0

Posted on Dec 1, 2022 9:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2022 4:13 PM

Went to the Genius Bar earlier. They saw the issue and noted that it’s basically the 10gb Ethernet port that is not working correctly. They used a USB-C to ethernet adapter and got speeds up to 800mbps. They ordered a new logic board and IO wall. Should be a week or less for the part to come in and be repaired.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 26, 2022 4:13 PM in response to Frank Judnich

Went to the Genius Bar earlier. They saw the issue and noted that it’s basically the 10gb Ethernet port that is not working correctly. They used a USB-C to ethernet adapter and got speeds up to 800mbps. They ordered a new logic board and IO wall. Should be a week or less for the part to come in and be repaired.

Dec 4, 2022 12:56 PM in response to Frank Judnich

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, Frank!

We understand you're seeing that the network speeds on your Mac mini are faster than the speeds of your Mac Studio. We'd be happy to help you out.

Check to see if there may be any restrictions with your network:

Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support

If everything looks fine, please reach out to Apple Support for assistance:

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Regards.

Dec 24, 2022 9:58 PM in response to Frank Judnich

I am noticing the same issue with my M1 Mac mini. After upgrading to Ventura, my wifi is much faster than my ethernet. I have a PC plugged into the same switch pulling 700mbps down and 900mbps up. My Mac will pull 90mbps both up and down. I also have the 10gb ethernet port properly setup with jumbo frames. Not sure why this is happening. Have you found a fix?

Jan 8, 2023 11:25 AM in response to Frank Judnich

Took Mac Studio to Apple store genius bar. They kept it over night and said all it needed as a reinstall of the OS. They wiped my data disk in the process (fortunately it was backed up). Took the computer home and immediately ran speed test. Results; same problem!!!! The computer is now back in the store awaiting logic board, and ethernet parts replacement. I'm disappointed this should have been done from the getgo. More to follow.

Mac Mini internet speeds faster than M1 Mac Studio (both ethernet and WiFi)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.