Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow internet (ethernet and wifi) on new M2 Pro Mini (internet works on other devices)

Hi,

I just bought a new Mac Mini M2 Pro with Ventura preinstalled and signed in with my Apple-ID. Everything worked fine, I could connect to the internet over ethernet and wifi, but now my internet connection is very slow and instable. Sometimes downloads are fast (150/40 Mbit) and sometimes it slows down to a few kbytes or even zero.

I can definitely say that it is not an issue with my router or ethernet/wifi connection in general, because all my other devices (ipads, iphones, macbookPro, tv and more) are connected to the same router via wifi or ethernet and they work full speed. I also did a speed test with an app and the router has a full stable 150/40 internet connection, so I can narrow it down to the new mac Mini. I also disabled FW for the time of troubleshooting.

Anyone any ideas?

thank you in advance.

kind regards

Mac mini, macOS 13.0

Posted on Mar 25, 2023 2:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2023 2:57 AM

Good work👍 thus far regarding testing and such

Suggest the User start with Points 1 to 4 and then Test

Still having issues, move onto Steps 5 and 6 and Test Again

Still no resolve - move onto Step 7 and follow instructions therein 

1 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Safe Mode will also eliminate Third Party Software, extensions and drivers from loading. It will only load the Minimum amount of Core Apple Processes to allow the the computer to function at a reduced Level of Performance 

3 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

4 - Sometimes a Safe Boot followed by a Normal Boot will just put things right.

5 - If not - there could be something in the main User Account playing up. To further isolate this - Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. Then log out of the Main User account and log into the dummy account and test again if the issue persists.

6 - If the issue is present in the dummy account - then, this appears to be a System Wide issue on the computer.

7 - Download the Application Etrecheck directly from the Developer.

This is a Diagnostic Tool that makes no changes to the computer.

It makes a coherent and readable inventory of both the Hardware and Software used on the computer 

The application is free or paid from added features. 

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - >>>> using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last ) <<<<

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 25, 2023 2:57 AM in response to TommyNickname

Good work👍 thus far regarding testing and such

Suggest the User start with Points 1 to 4 and then Test

Still having issues, move onto Steps 5 and 6 and Test Again

Still no resolve - move onto Step 7 and follow instructions therein 

1 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Safe Mode will also eliminate Third Party Software, extensions and drivers from loading. It will only load the Minimum amount of Core Apple Processes to allow the the computer to function at a reduced Level of Performance 

3 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

4 - Sometimes a Safe Boot followed by a Normal Boot will just put things right.

5 - If not - there could be something in the main User Account playing up. To further isolate this - Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. Then log out of the Main User account and log into the dummy account and test again if the issue persists.

6 - If the issue is present in the dummy account - then, this appears to be a System Wide issue on the computer.

7 - Download the Application Etrecheck directly from the Developer.

This is a Diagnostic Tool that makes no changes to the computer.

It makes a coherent and readable inventory of both the Hardware and Software used on the computer 

The application is free or paid from added features. 

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - >>>> using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last ) <<<<

Mar 28, 2023 3:51 PM in response to Ken Shimabukuro

Hi,

thanks for your help. When I logged in with my apple-id on my new mac, all my previously used wi-fi networks I ever used with my iphone and macbook were stored in the wifi list and transferred to the new macmini. I cleared that list (dont need 90% of the networks again anyway) and it seems like that helped. Internet is at full speed again. (Not sure why that would impact on Ethernet too but ok).

also, I unchecked all apps that made an entry in setting -> files&folders and -> „full storage access“ (or something like that, im on a german version of ventura) and disabled everything unter automation and „login items“ under General, to exclude any apps interfering from the background and then activated them step by step.

hope this helps someone with a similar problem.

kind regards

Slow internet (ethernet and wifi) on new M2 Pro Mini (internet works on other devices)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.