Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Low TX Rate and Slow internet Speed

I have MacBook Air M1 2020, The Wifi Seems have trouble with internet speed. After checked the wifi on my mac the TX Rate just 192 Mbps, Which is very low because I use Wifi 6 Router and connected through 5Ghz connection. my other devices like Android Phone and Windows laptop all can get full internet speed with the same wifi router connected. Just Mac have trouble.

Any of you guys have this kind of trouble as well, and maybe have the fix or workaround to make it better.

Thank You

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Mar 7, 2023 10:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2023 6:20 PM

What are the signal and noise levels as reported by macOS? Option-clicking the WiFi icon on the menubar will reveal these details. The signal strength is called "RSSI" and should be somewhere between -35db to -65db (-65db is a weak signal so will have a slower transmit rate). The Noise level should be somewhere around -90db or -95db.

I have seen software issues affect the WiFi connect on macOS so that is another possibility. Try booting into Safe Mode to see if there is any difference, although I've been informed by a respected forum contributor that Safe Mode may no longer be as effective at preventing third party software from launching automatically due to recent changes in macOS 13.x Ventura.

You can try using using this Apple article for troubleshooting WiFi issues:

If your Mac isn't connecting to the internet over Wi-Fi - Apple Support

You may also want to power cycle the router. Perhaps even test when this laptop is the only device connected to the WiFi in case other devices are interfering.

Is the laptop display open or closed? I have seen people mention that they have WiFi issues when the display lid is closed as the antenna contained within the built-in Display Assembly which is not optimally oriented when closed.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 7, 2023 6:20 PM in response to DeDoctor

What are the signal and noise levels as reported by macOS? Option-clicking the WiFi icon on the menubar will reveal these details. The signal strength is called "RSSI" and should be somewhere between -35db to -65db (-65db is a weak signal so will have a slower transmit rate). The Noise level should be somewhere around -90db or -95db.

I have seen software issues affect the WiFi connect on macOS so that is another possibility. Try booting into Safe Mode to see if there is any difference, although I've been informed by a respected forum contributor that Safe Mode may no longer be as effective at preventing third party software from launching automatically due to recent changes in macOS 13.x Ventura.

You can try using using this Apple article for troubleshooting WiFi issues:

If your Mac isn't connecting to the internet over Wi-Fi - Apple Support

You may also want to power cycle the router. Perhaps even test when this laptop is the only device connected to the WiFi in case other devices are interfering.

Is the laptop display open or closed? I have seen people mention that they have WiFi issues when the display lid is closed as the antenna contained within the built-in Display Assembly which is not optimally oriented when closed.

Mar 13, 2023 10:24 AM in response to HWTech

Thanks for your reply

I already Checked my RSSI around -40dbm to -45dbm. The noise is -99dbm.

Already tried to restart the router and for sure it just affecting my macbook.

the display always open while in use.

could it be the channel? because i manually configured the channel on my router.

I haven't tried to booting it into safe mode. maybe if i have time later.

Low TX Rate and Slow internet Speed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.