Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow WiFi on iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019)

I am getting download speeds of around 05Mbps on my iMac via WiFi. There are two other Windows computers further away from the router getting speeds of ~25Mbps.

Why is this happening?

Even before the lockdown, I was still getting consistently around the same internet speeds.

The router is located in the room below mine, and someone on Reddit said this is why, but I don't think so.

Time of day would make no change in speed before and after lockdown.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on May 11, 2020 6:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2020 10:49 PM

Nothing is wrong with the iMac, there is something going on with your network, yes even if other devices are working okay. Please ensure the modem and router have up-to-date firmware, you will need to refer to their manuals for instructions.

After they have been updated please do the following:

1. Restart Modem
  2. Restart router
  3. Restart iMac
  4. Test

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2020 10:49 PM in response to BILMAN

Nothing is wrong with the iMac, there is something going on with your network, yes even if other devices are working okay. Please ensure the modem and router have up-to-date firmware, you will need to refer to their manuals for instructions.

After they have been updated please do the following:

1. Restart Modem
  2. Restart router
  3. Restart iMac
  4. Test

Slow WiFi on iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.